JD won't start

Old 04-05-08, 12:21 PM
JD won't start

I have an older JD Lx172 ('94 I think), with a Kohler engine. I went to start it for the first time yesterday. I charged the battery beforehand,and cranked the engine about 6-8 times,waiting several seconds between cranks. The next time I turned the key there was nothing...... the starter didn't turn, the battery light on the dash didn't light either, no sounds at all. I checked continuity on the two fuses on the starter board, put the battery back on the charger to see if there was a bad cell (I have one of the "smart chargers" and it should tell you if the battery is bad), the battery checked out O.K., but still nothing. I haven't had time to look at it further. Could someone walk me through what I need to do to troubleshoot.
Thanks,
Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-08, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't believe the LX172 came with Kohler engines. It should be a Kawasaki, or has it been modified? If it's the 14hp kawasaki, then you can check for power at the spade terminal on the starter solenoid mounted on the starter while teying to start it. If there is full power there, but nothing happens, you need a solenoid (common and expensive failure, but usually worthwhile). If not, post back and we'll go from there.

Old 04-05-08, 09:42 PM
Blueman, Can you check & verify all the battery connections are clean & tight?? No sounds or indicators kinda tells me you have a poor connection somewhere....Measure the Battery voltage while trying to crank the engine..Have you actually load tested the battery & checked the specific gravity & level of the electrolite??? Sometimes the "Smart" chargers aren't so smart. I run into this all the time with private owned Golf Carts.. Let us know & we can walk you thru the starting system,, Roger

Old 04-06-08, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I took the tractor down to my dads, so I can work on it there. I will check the make of the engine and for 12 volts at the starter, today if possible, or tomorrow if not.

hopkinsr2: I did double check batt. connections, and checked ground connection at the engine. I did replace one of the 15 A fuses just for kicks and now the battery light at the dash will light up, but still no cranking. I will end up replacing both fuses when I get the chance. I will take the battery to NAPA Monday, and have them load test the battery.
Will report back tomorrow evening. Thanks again
Mike

Old 04-06-08, 11:45 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Make sure safety switch somewhere in linkage did not stop working due to actual fault or misalignment due to not putting gear in neutral . Try jiggling shift lever and working clutch pedal back and forth. Ohms and volt test appropriate devices.

(Reminds me, I have to install new safety switch I had to bypass on my dad's riding tractor last year to get it to turn over. I have the switch sitting on my stove)

Old 04-08-08, 04:04 AM
First of all thanks to everyone who offered a solution to my problem, boy do I feel stupid..........The battery checked out fine, so I decided to replace both 15A fuses even though they tested O.K.(they had continuity). Apparently that was the problem, as the tractor cranked over after that. Not sure why the fuses had continuity but still were "bad". Anyway I am back in business, so thanks again to everyone.
Mike

ps:cheeze.....you were right, the LX172 does have a Kawasaki, not Kohler engine!

Old 04-08-08, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Glad you got it. I wonder if maybe the problem was just a bad connection where the fuse plugs into the switchboard.