Honda 1000 Generator

Old 04-05-08, 02:29 PM
Honda 1000 Generator

Hey guys I am new here and I think I am posting this questions in the correct place. I have a Honda EU1000 generator used for tailgating 4 months of the year, but today I needed to use it and when I went to crank it, it started blowing blue smoke and then died, when I tried to crank it again the pull rope felt locked, meaning I could not pull at all. Brought it in and pulled the spark plug and it was black and filled with carbon. I pulled the rope and it blew oil out of the cylinder, I cleaned what I could on the plug and tried to start again and it was trying to turn over and I stopped to get a new plug. My concern is the oil in the cylinder, does this mean rings are bad or what are your thoughts?

thanks Andy

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-08, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
My initial though is that it was tipped or stood up on end for a moment, allowing oil to get in places it shouldn't be. If that's the case, just replace the plugs and get it going again...let it run until the smoke clears and you should be fine. It might have spewed oil into the air filter, so it may need to be replaced. You may need to add some oil to get it to full level.

If it wasn't stored or moved in any position other than upright, then check the oil to see if it is overfilled or smells like gas and post back with that info.

Old 04-05-08, 06:32 PM
Honda 1000

cheese,
thanks for answerinI know it has been on its side before and smoked a bit and then cleared up. Just got back from 3 parts stores on the hunt for a plug, put it in and started up fine, but blowing smoke to no end. I let run for 20 min or so and would almost cleear up and then sound like bogginh down for second and then right back to smoking. I will check oil level tomorrow, I know the last time I used it a few months ago I topped off the oil but don't thinkI overfilled it.

thansk for the advice

Old 04-06-08, 06:52 PM
Ok, no gas in oil, new plug and fired up fine and finally stopped blowing smoke, but on every restart same thing, blowing smoke, and oil level is ok.

just strange to me

Old 04-06-08, 08:23 PM
here my suggest here senice i work on alot of generators however this is my suggest is put a load on the engine the reason why i say put a load on the engine due it will run little more hotter and it will burn off any resdude oil left on the piston crown [ the upper most of the piston ] something like half load on it or so it will get hot engouh to light off any oil laden muffer and clear up all the oil out and check it pretty often when you run for a while.

{while we are on simauir topic i am not sure if the honda engine like this small should have crankcase breather there tied into carb check that out as well sometime will get pretty full of lube oil in there and suck in the carbuatoer }

Merci,Marc

Old 04-06-08, 08:35 PM
you may have burnt a ring or two. I would change the oil to a heavier weight.

Old 04-06-08, 09:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wouldn't go the heavier oil route. Stick with straight SAE30 oil. So, now when it is started, it blows smoke and then quickly clears up? If so, you may help the situation by replacing the valve stem seals. I'd also have a look at the air filter and air filter housing. If you see any oil at all in there, go ahead and replace the air filter. The filters on hondas are very intolerant of oil contamination. The oil closes the filter pores.

Old 04-07-08, 06:29 AM
cheese, that is correct, start it up and it blows smoke for maybe 4 min then clears up. Now it has done this the past handful of times but not like last Saturday where it was laying down a 007 smoke screen. I will get a new filter and seals and give that a try. thanks cheese

LI Tom; Ok say I have burned a ring, how much are we talking to fix? The engine would need to be torn down, heck I can buy a new one for 650?

French227v; I did load it up yesterday and seemed to burn clean however, letting it sit for 3 hours and fire it back up and here comes the smoke for a min or two, this generator is 4 years old and barely gets used 4 months a year. just frustrating,

thanks for all yours suggestions

Old 04-25-08, 10:47 PM
The cost of replacing piston rings varies on where you take it to. You can confirm if you have bad rings with a pressure test. I dont know what the PSI should be for your generator but if you could get your hands on a repair manual, (available online), it should tell you. Most repair shops will charge a small fee and tell you what is wrong with your unit.

Old 04-26-08, 06:13 AM
setting so long may have rusted the cyl walls, running may reseat them and stop the oil but you may have to run it several hours. Might not also. run a compression test and leak down to help diagnose.
life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies.

Old 03-08-11, 06:34 PM
Honda EU1000i smokes at start up!

Seemingly, there is no "Honda Inverter Forum" on the internet to ask questions like ... just about everything now. While searching, I stumbled on a post about a smoking eu1000. In reading it, the guy really seemed to have good understanding as to how these units work and there issues....but didn't answer my issue. So if you don't mind....I have a issue someone here might be able to assist me with.

2005 Honda EU1000i Inverter.

I am having an issue with my unit eating/burning oil. Recently when I start the unit it puffs smoke for about 30 seconds and then clears visibility...but I can still smell some oil burning. I can see some oil on the exhaust outlet indicating oil is present. Also around the plastic casing next to the muffler outlet.

Is there something I missed to maintain? An oil recovery filter or something causing it to eat oil....PVC Valve/filter/recovery something?

I have good compression...the unit runs good except to smoke at start up. Spark plug is a bit dirty...replaced it. Spark arrestor screen at the end of the muffler was just cleaned about 20hrs ago (It there another screen to clean?) and cleaned the air filter.

Regarding possible valve stem leakage is that....it ran great with no oil present in the exhaust nor was it burning oil....then one day it was.

Runs good/smooth under load and has correct voltage output.

Last, I do have about 320hrs on it and it runs great otherwise. Use it every night to power my 23ft 1975 Dodge Monaco Motor home..LOL But now I'm using the on-board Onan BFA Genset to power the motor home. Loves the gas but it runs good! Any tips on that one you want to share? Likes to soot up alot.

Any help is greatly appreciate it! Thank you for your time!

Kelly
Portland, OR