Murray mower stalls

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-08, 10:20 AM
Murray mower stalls

Good afternoon everyone.

I have a Murray "Wide Body LT" riding mower (Model 40507X8A) that I am having trouble with. The engine starts and runs fine but if I attempt to let the clutch out it stalls and if I try to engage the blades it stalls.

It doesn't matter what gear I am in, or if I am in neutral. If I just slightly let off the clutch I can move forward about an inch and then it stalls.

The drive belt seems to be nice and tight from what I can see of it in the engine bay. The mower has never done this before. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-08, 10:52 AM
Hey Paul,

Your not the only one that has had this problem lately, Check the below thread out. I'm sure you will find the problem;

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=339587

Old 04-06-08, 11:39 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
When releasing clutch, does it -suddenly- up and quit?, or do you hear the rpms coming way down first as it tries engaging and overcoming the load? If the later, could be something wrong with motor governor, like grass packed up in where the linkage springs are, or a bind with the cutting blade from grass, or some other bind.

Old 04-06-08, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by ecman51` View Post
When releasing clutch, does it -suddenly- up and quit?, or do you hear the rpms coming way down first as it tries engaging and overcoming the load? If the later, could be something wrong with motor governor, like grass packed up in where the linkage springs are, or a bind with the cutting blade from grass, or some other bind.
Yes the RPMs drop and it sputters out. I can move about an inch or so if I ever so lightly let off brake, but enough to actually move a lot and the rpms drop. If I press the clutch back in quickly the RPMs jump back up to normal.

I will check for grass clumps.

Old 04-06-08, 12:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Let us know what you find out, or if you need more help. Check any and everything that the belt moves, for binding, also.

Old 04-06-08, 10:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Check out the seat switch.

Old 04-16-08, 06:13 AM
Turns out it was the safety switch on the clutch pedal. That is taken care of and I can drive the mower now. I still have the problem of it dying when I engage the blades though.

All of the pulleys turn freely, I can manually pull the belt and watch all the pulleys turn. I can manually rotate the blades as well. With the engine running as soon as I engage the blades the engine dies. Any ideas?

Old 04-16-08, 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Check out the seat switch.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^.....Refer back to the link I posted for more info on the seat switch.

Old 04-17-08, 11:02 PM
Originally Posted by 31YTech View Post
What he said ^^^^^^^^^^^^.....Refer back to the link I posted for more info on the seat switch.
The seat switch is functioning correctly. If it were not, the engine would not start.

Old 04-17-08, 11:08 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok.....

Just so you know, the engine will start regardless of whether the seat switch is good or not. The seat switch generally isn't even part of the starting circuit.

Old 04-18-08, 03:59 AM
Originally Posted by PaulTN View Post
If it were not, the engine would not start.

Wrooong.......

As cheese stated......

Old 04-18-08, 03:02 PM
Well on my mower you must be sitting on the seat (button pressed) with your foot on the clutch (button pressed) or the mower will not start. I only have experience with my mower, no other mowers. This is how my mower operates and how it has since day one when I bought it in 1999.

The seat switch is functioning.

My problem at this point is engaging the blades kills the engine. I have looked all over my mower and there seems to be no correlation (mechanically or electrically) between the blades and the seat switch.

Thanks for all the help so far and for those that have been reading my messages.

Originally Posted by 31YTech View Post
Wrooong.......

As cheese stated......

Old 04-18-08, 03:13 PM
Woohoo I just figured it out chappies. My mower has a third hidden safety switch in the blade control arm. It's only visible if you have the mower on it's side! Unlike the other switches this one is black (the others are orange, easy to see). The switch is bad so I have it taped for the time being. Blades work, everything is running now!

Again, the SEAT SWITCH, is not related.

Old 04-18-08, 04:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You taped the blade switch? So now you've bypassed both the clutch switch and the blade switch all because of a bad seat switch? And yes, the 3 are interlaced.

C'mon, you came here looking for help, we're trying to give it to you, and you decide you know more than us...the guys who have your mower memorized front, back, and inside out in our heads? I don't care if you don't want our help, but don't come asking for it and then tell us we don't know what we're talking about. Your murray is no different than the thousands of others out there that we work on every day. The seat switch has nothing to do with the starting circuit.

AGAIN, the seat switch IS related.

Old 04-18-08, 04:39 PM
No I replaced the clutch switch. Once I replaced it I was able to drive the mower.

Tell me how my seat switch is bad.

I am not telling you that you are wrong. I am saying that for my mower which is the only one I have ever worked on this is how it works.

My mower has three switches. The clutch switch, the seat switch and the blade switch.

Initially when sitting on the mower with it running if I let off the clutch it died. I replaced the switch and that problem went away.

Now when I engage the blades the mower died. I taped the blade switch and the problem went away.

How is that related to the seat switch? The seat switch IS WORKING. If you get off seat and let the switch up it will die. The mower will not start without the seat switch being pressed (regardless of the parking brake). My mower has always worked this way since I bought it in 1999.

Either way I have a new blade switch in the mail (just ordered). I'll post again when I replace it.

You seem to be grumpy. I have thanked everyone here more than once for any help that could be offered and you just attack me. Shame.

Originally Posted by cheese View Post
You taped the blade switch? So now you've bypassed both the clutch switch and the blade switch all because of a bad seat switch? And yes, the 3 are interlaced.

C'mon, you came here looking for help, we're trying to give it to you, and you decide you know more than us...the guys who have your mower memorized front, back, and inside out in our heads? I don't care if you don't want our help, but don't come asking for it and then tell us we don't know what we're talking about. Your murray is no different than the thousands of others out there that we work on every day. The seat switch has nothing to do with the starting circuit.

AGAIN, the seat switch IS related.

Old 04-18-08, 04:47 PM
OK Paul,

Myself and Mr Cheese has tried to direct you to your problem area. Since you wish not to follow our directions and are set that the seat switch is NOT your problem I would like to waste one more second of your time.

Click on this link; http://www.murray.com/troubleshootin...ing_219_rm.asp

BTW, I just seen Mr Cheese's reply just before clicking send on this one.....He worded his looking for help part a little nicer than I had ready.

Old 04-18-08, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Attacking you? When? You think I volunteer my time here to attack the folks who come for help? I am better than this, and refuse to get into a pissing match about who is right and why. I am not saying your seat switch is difinitely the problem, but from your description, it was a pretty firm cause to believe it is bad. The fact that you won't show any interest in the suggestion that it could be bad is why we continually repeat the fact. I think you can understand the frustration in dealing with someone who asks for help and then tells you don't know what you're talking about. I also think this thread is better off passing off the page, lest it continues to deteriorate. Therefore, I am closing it. Thank you.

Last edited by cheese; 04-18-08 at 05:18 PM.
Closed Thread