Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Eager-1 6 hp 917.376281 Wont Start after starting fine then stored

WA

04-06-08, 08:22 PM   #1  
Craftsman Eager-1 6 hp 917.376281 Wont Start after starting fine then stored

Hello all,

A little background....

So this mower was working completely fine up until my mother noticed how easy the pull was on a new Toro mower. She buys the new mower, puts this in her garage and there it sits for untouched for 3 years. She gives it to me, since I am currently building a house, and need a mower. I dust it off, install a new sparkplug, press the primer 5 times and give it about 30 pulls and nothing. I did notice the fuel in the below pic accumulating under what the muffler/exhaust from trying to start? From reading a lot of eager-1 posts, i noticed that it might be a carb prob? Not sure though...

EDIT: mower had been "professionally serviced" EVERY spring so it never had any issues.

I do not have any small engine knowledge, but i have no doubt i can learn ...I just need direction, as to what manual...engine model...etc. I dont know where to start.

Thanks, Cali

Sponsored Links

04-06-08, 08:44 PM   #2  
remove the spark plug, then disconect fuel line from tank and drain out any old gas install tank and line. put plug wire on plug and touch plug to the head have someone pull it over to see if you have spark. (be careful not to get poked by spark current and stay away from blade area it will rotate during this) if all is good put allittle fresh gas in prime twice and try. (prime too much and it will flood) if that does not work the carb is gummed up from sitting. good luck hope this helps

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-06-08, 09:49 PM   #3  
After sitting for 3 years, it surely needs a carb cleaning. Pull the pwol off the carb and see how bad it is...then you'll know how much cleaning it's going to take.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WA

04-07-08, 12:02 PM   #4  
Well, the tank was bone dry when i started this mission, so i doubt any was in the line. in any case, I drained it and refilled some gas, tested for spark (have spark) primed twice, pulled and nothing....

so next step is the carb?

In the following link, Is 2nd diagram my carb? If so, I'll take it off and post some pics before I clean it.

http://www.lawn-mower-shop.com/carb1.htm

are there any other tips other than the following link?
http://forum.doityourself.com/showpo...78&postcount=2

What is the best to clean a carb with?

thanks,
Cali

MO

04-07-08, 12:40 PM   #5  
Here we go;
Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

04-07-08, 01:32 PM   #6  
would probably squirt some oil or wd 40 in the cylinder and crank it over a few times with the spark plug out if its been setting for that long the compression may be so low it will not start.
would probably try that if you still have problems after looking at the carb.

WA

04-09-08, 06:32 PM   #7  
well I took off the bowl and cleaned the bowl and nut...only having somuch time before I have to leave for a quick business trip. I cleaned the nut pretty well (from what i thought). the bowl was not very dirty. with time restraints, i did not check the rest and reassembled. unclamped, choked twice, and pulled and nothing....hmmmmm

I will have all the time in the world when i return, so since this is the 1st time, doubt i did it correctly.

If rebuilding the carb is the solution, what is the time and money involved in that?

thanks for your help!
Cali

WA

04-10-08, 05:00 PM   #8  
Holy Crap New Mower!!!!!

Geogrubb...thanks for the directions and bread tie suggest.

So I had a few hours before I left so I took another look at the mower. Pulled the start...nothinig...but did sound like it wanted to start...pullled again, again and again...nothing...Pulled the spark plug out, checked for spark, had spark. Hmmm....*primed a handful of times*.... pulled on the start and VRRRRRRRROOOOOOOM
Could it be it was flooded the other day i took the carb apart? Why did priming it get it going?

All kinds of smoke and ran at a reallly high idle for a bout 5 minutes then it calmed down and ran smooth for 10 or so....I do have both speed options also.

grabbed the power grinder and took the blade off and voila....sharpened blades!
Mowed about an 1/3acre on low and it ran fine like a new mower.

Total Time 1 hr
Total Price 12 usd (oil, stab, filter, plug)

I bought stabilizer and and new filter (before the mows)...Im store if for a couple weeks. I'll report if i have any issues....Once I get into my new house, I want to tear the whole carb down and clean it thouroughly. sure i'll need help with that....

Thanks so much....Cali

WA

04-10-08, 05:03 PM   #9  
and i didnt note before....there was a lottttttttttt of gunk in the nut when i cleaned it

MO

04-10-08, 08:03 PM   #10  
Good to hear you have it running, that is what it's all about. Have a good one. Geo

Search this Thread