Craftsman hydro transaxle oil type/level?

Old 04-08-08, 05:08 AM
Craftsman hydro transaxle oil type/level?

just got a 1995?ish Craftsman 18 hp twin kohler, 46" deck with a hydrostatic trans. (hydro transaxle model # 310-0650) when you move the drive leaver foreword/backword it is slow to respond and dosn't seam to have the power i think it should. is there any way to check the fluid in the rear end? if it is low what do i top it up with? can i drain/flush it?

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-08, 06:18 AM
Your transaxle uses 20W50 oil. I do not have access to my manuals now so I will try this from memory, or what is left of my memory.

I suspect you may have air in the system. Check the oil level and top off as needed. Securely, jack up the drive wheels and start the engine, with the engine at idle move the controls to full forward for a few minutes and then full reverse for a few minutes. If the transaxle has a lot of air, it could take a half hour to purge the system.

I will see if I have the manual for this transaxle and update my post.

Old 04-08-08, 07:56 AM
After checking, I do not have a service manual for the 310-0650 hydro-gear transaxle. Here is the next best thing that may help. Go to the link below and download the manual listed as Onsite service info, Tractor, Tiller, FHP163578 1998 2002-04. In this manual is information on your transaxle.

http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co...op_manuals.htm

This is the manual, I do not know if this link will work:
http://www.gardening-tools-direct.co...5321635-78.pdf

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Old 04-10-08, 03:49 AM
Thanks for the links Airman the transaxle was/is low and i found the problem.
there is a small piece chipped off of it where the axle shaft comes out of it. right on the end of the case. i can see the rubber axle seal. looks like it might have taken a hard lick on that side. I don't have a drive belt yet but my guess is when it builds up pressure that it leaks there. the inside of the tire was full of oil.
Guess i'm off to the hardware store to find something to try to fill/rebuild the piece that is broken off...sealall...?

Steve

Old 05-22-08, 06:58 PM
Transaxle level

Having been where you are I found out after much searching and calling sears that according to them that 319-0650transaxle is supposed to be synthetic 20-50. It requires 80 ounces. That should fill it to 1-1/8 from the breather hole. They say it should not require service over the life of the tractor but since I found out how to check it, mine has required oil every year. Their opinion differs from mine on the "life" apparently. If you need the seal numbers they are 142961 inner and 142976 outer.

I think I need to rebuild the pump in mine if anybody has any ideas. Is it even do-able?