Montgomery Wards tiller reverse v-belt

Old 04-11-08, 10:08 AM
Montgomery Wards tiller reverse v-belt

I have a model Gil 1589a tiller that was given to me & I cannot figure out how to route the reverse belt. I've tried every $&^*$ configuration I can find & have had no luck. Does anyone have a diagram or know of a site that shows how to put that thing on?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-11-08, 05:22 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You should have seen what I went through to figure out how to get about a 20 foot belt on a Woods 5' mower deck attachment with 5 pulleys, after the belt flew off the first time. Now I have a drawing on a block of wood in the tool compartment behind the tractor. I was able to figure mine out, finally!, by looking at cutting blade rotation and how the belt was able to wrap around so many things, over and under itself, without hitting itself.

Also, with a tensioner or flat pulley involved, sometimes you can get a clue from that as to how the belt has to go in that area.

Old 04-11-08, 05:46 PM
Does your engine have a separate pulley on the cam shaft for the reverse belt? Or does it come off of the crankshaft?

If it comes off of the crankshaft then the belt is installed with a figure 8 to it.

Old 04-11-08, 05:55 PM
I have a PDF copy of the Owners Guide for a Montgomery Ward (Gilson) model number GIL-1572A rotary tiller. I think this model is very similar to your model GIL-1589A. The manual has an illustration showing belt routing. Send me a private message with an email address and I will gladly send you a copy.

Old 04-12-08, 01:50 PM
Thanks Airman. I never would have got it without your help.

Old 05-07-08, 07:33 AM
Please forward PDF file
I have a gil 1589A

Old 05-11-08, 07:58 PM
Gilson 1580c Reverse Belt Info.

Originally Posted by Airman View Post
I have a PDF copy of the Owners Guide for a Montgomery Ward (Gilson) model number GIL-1572A rotary tiller. I think this model is very similar to your model GIL-1589A. The manual has an illustration showing belt routing. Send me a private message with an email address and I will gladly send you a copy.
Hi Airman, I have the same problem with the reverse belt on
my montgomery ward tiller. would it be possible to get a copy of the manual. I will gladly pay you for your time & postage.
Give me a holler when you get a chance.
Thank You Bob
[email protected]

Search this Thread