Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Lawn Boy Wont start

NJ

04-12-08, 06:29 AM   #1  
Lawn Boy Wont start

I need some help getting my mower starting. I had it running nicely but i recently changed the oil and i might have tipped it over to much. When i pull the rope, which is also very hard, i get a popping and smoke from the muffler so i removed it and cleaned out some oil that i noticed but it still wont start. Please any help will be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

MO

04-12-08, 09:28 AM   #2  
Post the engine mfg, model etc and someone will be able to help you. Have a good one. Geo

NJ

04-12-08, 09:54 AM   #3  
Lawnmower

Sorry its a Lawnboy Silver series 5.5hp model #10313. When I pull the start rope it tries to crank and some smoke shoots out of the muffler but thats it. Thanks for any help

MO

04-12-08, 11:49 AM   #4  
First check to see that the oil is not overfull also check the air filter to see if it is soaked with oil, then remove the sparkplug and check it for being fowled, if oil got in the cylinder pour some gas in the sparkplug hole and crank it over several times without the plug in to rinse the oil out of the cylinder. Have a good one. Geo

NJ

04-12-08, 12:49 PM   #5  
Lawnmower

Thanks for the help Geo!! I checked the plug and it is oily but the air filter is clean. I think you are right because i do see oil in the cylinder. I will try the gasoline to see if i could get rid of some of the oil. Thanks alot

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

04-12-08, 12:58 PM   #6  
Is that a 2-cycle engine where you have to mix the oil in the gas like a chain saw, outboards and other things?

NJ

04-12-08, 02:14 PM   #7  
Lawnmower

No its a 4 cycle with regular gas and oil..

WI

04-12-08, 02:27 PM   #8  
Just wanted to know, as that could possibly help steer the thread. My parents had a 2-cycle Lawn Boy when I was a kid in junior and high school. And *I* had to go out and mow! Their ad campaigns stated that their mowers would start with one pull, I remember. And ours pretty much did.

MO

04-12-08, 03:21 PM   #9  
ecman51;
I have one that is 28yrs old and will still start on the first or second pull(the last time i used it). Have a good one. Geo

WI

04-13-08, 02:03 PM   #10  
Hi George. The one I was using was over 40 years ago. And to think it seems like yesterday I was using it.

NJ

04-13-08, 03:15 PM   #11  
Lawnmower

Hello guys I tried using gasoline to rinse out the oil and i also replaced the sparkplug but when i pull the starter you can hear the engine try to start but then it stops. I checked the carb and it was clean so if you have any other ideas please let me know..

MO

04-13-08, 07:42 PM   #12  
Remove the new plug and check if it is fouled again, it may take a lot of cranking to get it to run, you could try spraying some starter fluid in the carb for a little help. However, the carb may also need to be cleaned or just the main jet. If so;

Clamp off the fuel line, remove the carb bowl, release the clamp to see if you have good fuel flow to the carb, raise the float to see that it shuts off the flow with minimal pressure, clean the junk from the bowl, clean the bowl nut, 2 holes close to the bottom and a tiny one about midway up(I usually use the wire from a twist tie), spray all holes, cracks and crevases with brake parts cleaner, reassemble and you should be good to go. If this didn't work it will be probably be necessary to rebuild the carb. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will post to help further. Refer to the photo below. Have a good one . Geo
http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...c_bowl_nut.jpg

NJ

04-14-08, 05:47 AM   #13  
lawnmower help..

Thanks for the help but i took apart the carb again and everything was clean and working correctly. I tried shooting starter fluid in the carb and down the pipe but it only tries to start and shoots some smoke out of the muffler and thats it. I think i might have done some harm when i flipped it over to change the blade. Thanks again guys!!

NJ

04-14-08, 04:15 PM   #14  
Hello geogrubb I just wanted to mention that the o ring on the carburator float cracked in many places and I was wondering if this could be causing an air leak , which may be the problem that I am having?? Please let know..

WI

04-14-08, 05:46 PM   #15  
Posted By: elacesar I think i might have done some harm when i flipped it over to change the blade.
Oil and gas didn't come running out?

NJ

04-15-08, 08:28 AM   #16  
Lawnmower

No not at all! I will change the gasket seal to see if it might have had an air leak. Thanks for replying..

Search this Thread