Honda Help G200

Old 04-12-08, 11:57 AM
Honda Help G200

I have a 5 hp Honda G200. Can't find any other numbers on it any where. It appears to be an early 80's. It's on a "Power Maul" log splitter. Problem is it constantly hunts ,dies under a load, dies at full throttle. Fresh gas was put in it. I checked the gas, no water. Sounds like a carb problem to me. So, I found a new carb for it. Installed it. Same exact thing as the old carb. A new muffler was installed before it came to me. When it does run, it is running VERY rich. (makes my eyes water). New NGK plug#BR4HS is black as the Ace of Spades. (old 1 was black, too).
I am not too familar with Hondas as only have worked on 1 before this.
What the #&%* am I missing here?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-08, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does it die under full throttle even if NOT under load? If so, maybe timing is off due to maybe a shear key got stretched enough to still allow it to work, but not as well.

Did you try to check for compression, even in a manual feel fashion by rotating engine with plug out to see if you feel your finger being sucked in the plug hole during intake and then forced away? It is nice to familiarize yourself with that effect on a good newer engine so then you know if valves are hanging or the head bolts came loose or the thing is plain wore out, that you may have something internally amiss.

Through such a test I once was convinced a valve was hanging as I had good compression one minute and none the next, and after 3 back to back tear downs, I found a screw peeking out from the valve hole; tiny screw that came out of the carburetor. Also have found head bolts loose numerous times on B & S's.

Old 04-13-08, 01:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Try running it without the air filter. I'm betting the filter is clogged, no matter how clean it looks. Honda filters are funny..especially if they've ever gotten wet. If so, they close up the pores and they never re-open when it dries.

Old 04-13-08, 05:58 AM
Thank you Cheese. I forgot to mention that I did not put the air cleaner housing back on after installing the carb.

Old 04-20-08, 05:53 PM
Finally fixed!!

Finally got it running fairly smooth. Here is what I tried:
Tried with no air filter- no change.
New NGK Spark plug- no change.
Adjusted governor- slightly better.
Installed new Carb- no change.
New muffler was installed before it came to me.
Checked gas cap vent- clear.
Customer came to see how it was going. I told him everything I tried. While we were talking, he took of the gas cap and looked down the tank. Said tank HAS to be FULL to the top to run. Tank was 1/2- 3/4 full. Gas did flow freely from the tank thru the line when I disconected the gas line from the carb.
Filled tank to the top.
GOLLY GEE SARGENT CARTER!!!
Fired right up and ran great with only minor surging. Customer said it never ran so good.
So my question now is "What the #@*% is it with Honda engines?" They wont run with half a tank of gas?

Old 04-20-08, 11:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the engine mounted at an angle? The fuel level shouldn't make a hill of beans difference unless a fuel line goes up higher than the bottom of the tank, or the unit is angled so that the carb isn't lower than the bottom of the tank.