late 80's MTD LT1238---Turn Key, Nothing Happens

Old 04-13-08, 09:06 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation late 80's MTD LT1238---Turn Key, Nothing Happens

Ok so this lawn tractor has been sitting in my garage for a few years. My brother attempted to get it started back then but gave up.

I need some help to troubleshoot what kind of problems this thing has. First off, the battery is dead, I know that. So I hooked up jumper cables to the leads w/o the battery and the key turn doesn't show any signs of the mower getting juice. I am going to replace the ignition. Could it be the starter? How much do those run? I just need to know where to start when its making NO noise at all when turning the key with the directions being followed (seat down, nuetral...etc...)

Also, the cutting deck is off and I have to replace a belt. Can I just keep it off and only use the drive belt?

Thanks for your help everyone!

David

Old 04-15-08, 12:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Check for power at the small wire plugged onto the solenoid while trying to start it. If there is none, there is a problem with a safety switch, fuse, keyswitch, etc... You will have to trace the electrical problem back to the point where power is lost. If there is power at that wire, and you don't hear a click or any noise, then the solenoid is bad.

Yes, you can leave the deck off, but make sure the blade engagement handle is off or the safety switch for it won't allow the engine to start.

Old 04-15-08, 03:38 PM
Just for giggles, Sit in the seat push the clutch and hold the key in the start position then at the same time pull the deck lift handle closer to you (off the stop).

If it cranks over replace the deck safety switch under the shifter cover plate.

Old 04-18-08, 05:32 PM
D
So I got the starter solenoid to click. But the I dont hear anything else. So this means that all the Safety switches are fine, correct? What to do now? Can I conclude the starter is bad?

Also there is a dangling single yellow wire with a single metal connector on the end going towards the back near the neutral detector coming from the main black bundle from the front. Could this be the missing link?

I guess I need a good clear drawing of the wiring to find out what that could be connected to. Its zip tied, so I guess its not too far. There is already a single wire plugged into the neutral detector thingy.

Thanks and sorry for being completely incompetent.

I know the starter is working because I hot wired the starter with a jumper cable and it trys to turn over. So somewhere in between the battery terminals and the starter somethings wrong. Hemmmmm.

Last edited by davidbrookstone; 04-18-08 at 06:03 PM. Reason: update
Old 04-19-08, 01:08 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Sounds to me like the solenoid is bad. You can test for power at the starter while trying to start, as long as you hear the solenoid click. If it does, and you have no power to the starter, then you have a bad starter solenoid.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: