B&S 8hp no spark

Old 04-13-08, 10:56 PM
Exclamation B&S 8hp no spark

I bought an old Sears tiller with a Briggs & Stratton 8hp 190402 type 0858-01 mounted on it. The guy said it had carb issues but after going through the Vacu-jet and cleaning out all of the gunk from the beginning of time, and adding fresh fuel, it still won't start. I changed the plug and even sprayed a bit of starting fluid in the cylinder but still nothing. Then I pulled the plug and tried the wire to the block trick and it confirmed there is no spark. At this point I'm thinking a new armature/coil might solve the problem but I'm not sure. Does anybody know anything about this model?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-08, 12:44 AM
Hi,

Since you didn't post the code number, I'm assuming this is a pre-Magnetron ignition system.

It sounds like the points are fouled (corroded from sitting around unused). Rare for an armature/coil to fail, especially since it sounds like it was running at some point but had "carb issues". Points are under the flywheel.

For a PDF parts diagram manual for your engine, see the B&S site:

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/

Your engine is document: 100_MS5848.pdf

The B&S site can be confusing, so I've typed out the way in...

Following the links from the main page, on the left hand menu click on "Maintenance and Repair" then "Manuals, Parts Lists & Wiring Diagrams" then under that "Illustrated Parts Lists". Now in the right hand frame click on "Engines". You'll now be on a page where you can enter the Model and Type numbers. Do so and click Go and you'll get the link for your manual.

Regarding the carb problems, you may want to invest in a carb rebuild kit ($20-$25). That will get you a new main jet, which can be a real hassle to get clean. Especially on an engine that wasn't drained and stored correctly. There are some extremely tiny holes in that jet that you could soak it all day in carb cleaner and still not get them open.

Due to its age, I'd also invest in some new fuel line and definitely change the fuel filter.

Cheers!

Old 04-15-08, 12:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it is the older style with points, I suggest forgetting about them and update the coil to the newer style electronic coil. It is much faster and easier to do, doesn't require removal of the flywheel (like servicing the points does), and is much more accurate and reliable than the points.

Old 04-16-08, 04:13 PM
Talking It's Alive!!!

Hi all, thanks for the information and advice, I ended up going with a carb kit and a modern coil. After about an hour for the carb rebuild and coil installation it fired up on the second pull.

Now I’ve got to change my name…

Old 04-16-08, 09:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Hello fixedtiller! Glad you got it fixed!