Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need Pro Advise

NC

04-14-08, 06:04 AM   #1  
Need Pro Advise

Hi Friends,

I use to own a John Derre L100 Lawn Tractor, my mother needed a riding mower so I gave her mine with the intention of buying another, BUT money got tight & I purchased this mower http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...495&lpage=none

I wanted to stay with the John Deere brand, mainly because that's what I grew up with. Thing is I have ALMOST an acre of grass to cut, some of it is hilly.

I have to cut grass ''sometimes'' twice a week.
I plan to easily purchase another JDL100 when next years taxes come.
All I want to know is with proper care will my new mower make it comfortably through the summer with the engine the size that it is.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

MI

04-14-08, 03:29 PM   #2  
I am sure it will make it as long as the warranty lasts &
possibly many more years.
Have fun...................

PA

04-15-08, 12:56 PM   #3  
I owned the great grand daddy to your mower in the late 1970's, bought it new from my Deere dealer. Used it until 1998 when I bent the crank on an unseen tree stump. Always started on the first or second pull. My maintenance consisted of sharpening the blades, clean the air filter and changing the oil a couple times a year, and a new properly gapped spark plug every other year. To this day, I wish I had replaced the motor in it instead of junking it. Mine I believe was an early "J" series self propelled mower, and they still enjoy an excellent reputation for durability. Some Toros and Snappers might offer a slightly better cut, but if you want green, then the J series is a good choice.

NC

04-15-08, 02:21 PM   #4  
Thank You Guys for your insight.

NC

04-20-08, 03:46 PM   #5  
Back Again Guys,

The mower gives a wonderful cut, but it seems like it wants to cut off after 30 min of use.
Is my yard just too tough for the mower ?
I just can't see it being able to cut one acre of land easily once a week at the rate it's going.
It starts with ease, it just wants to die out.

Any Ideas ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-08, 11:39 PM   #6  
Take it back, it's defective. Sounds like a bad coil or tank vent.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NC

04-26-08, 10:40 AM   #7  
Hi Guys,

Here's an update, maybe you can help get me a little closer.
First of all I'm gonna buy anther L100 Series Deere Monday, BUT I still want to solve my problem with this self propeled mower.

I changed out the spark plug because the initial plug was fried, it ran fine for about 20 minutes & then it was like sputtering before it cut off.......... again.
I pulled out the plug, checked it & it seemed to be on it's way to being fried, it starts but still won't stay running.

When I engage the drive bar it may stay running or cut off.

Any more ideas ?

Pro or not I appreciate all replies.

PA

04-26-08, 06:27 PM   #8  
Please describe what you mean by the plug being fried? Is it the color? electrode being burned away? Since you just got this, I'd take it back under warantee. The "Timmys" that are sometimes asked to set up stuff at box stores can sometimes really mess up a perfectly good machine. Have you a Deere dealer in the area? He will sell you tha same mower, properly set up and stand behind the product with service and expertise.

MO

04-26-08, 06:39 PM   #9  
After scanning the previous posts I will make it three, TAKE IT BACK. Oh, have a good one. Geo

CA

04-26-08, 06:52 PM   #10  
I'll make it 4, take it back, but if you want to try and figure it out, I would say you have a contaminated or plugged air filter and it's making the engine run rich if it keeps destroying spark plugs.

NC

05-07-08, 08:03 AM   #11  
Hi Guys, I appreciate all your advice....I can't take it back anyway because I think I caused the problem.
I found that they flywheel has a chip in one of the keys.
Could that be the problem ?

How did it happen do ya think ?
Sorry for my ignorance, but I am learning

It looks almost as if you could take some JB Weld & fix the bit that has broken off.
Would it work ?

NC

05-07-08, 08:14 AM   #12  
I think I meant to say it has a chip in one of the flywheel teeth.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-08-08, 12:13 AM   #13  
Flywheel teeth??? This is an electric start engine???

Even if it does have teeth on the flywheel, this has nothing to do with your problem. You paid 500 something bucks for the mower, and it has a problem. That's what the warranty is for. They expect you to bring it back when something goes wrong during the warranty period. I'm beginning to wonder if there's more to this than you're telling us? Otherwise, why would you not make good on the warranty you paid for? Did you run over a stump or something?

God bless!

NC

05-08-08, 01:12 AM   #14  
Yes, now that I think of it I did, but I did not KNOWINGLY withhold info.
Like I said I'm learning, the key is sheared & today I am going to get a removal kit & replace the key.
I've never done this before so that's why I'm ignorant to the cause as well as the cure.
But again...no...I'm not hiding anything.
I can tell ya this though....I'm learning a heck of a lot by doing.
Trust me, if I could take it back I would.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-09-08, 10:18 AM   #15  
Great! Glad you found the problem! I was thinking that it sounded like maybe you hit something when you said you thought you caused the problem.

Post back with the results of your repair, or if you need help with the procedure!

God bless!

Last edited by cheese; 05-09-08 at 01:16 PM.

NC

05-09-08, 12:28 PM   #16  
Well maybe I'm wrong again, here's the latest...all this frustration can only serve to educate me.

I do remember hitting something & the engine stopping at one time, BUT it continued to run normal for a good while after that.

OK, I changed the plug, cleaned the gas tank & air filter, broke down the carb & it was clean as could be, it's open & seems to be working fine just as it came when I got it.
I cleaned the gas line.

So, I start it up & it runs great for about 10 min then it cuts off. I did notice one thing that may allow me to get a refund.
When I was looking at the flywheel it had a big chip in one of the ''I guess you call them fins'' ?
Also another was knicked.

Looking down on the flywheel & it not making any contact with anything how could any part of it chip off ?
I hope you can understand what I am refering too, if not I can post a pic of a flywheel & try to point it out.

I was told on the phone from the local Deere dealer that my problem as described wasn't the flywheel & it's not sheared because the mower cranked & ran normal for a good bit.

Even if I can get my money back I want to understand what & why I have the problem, if I can't I want to fix the problem.

Any Ideas from this point ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-11-08, 12:09 AM   #17  
Did you check for spark when it dies?

God bless!

NC

05-11-08, 01:03 AM   #18  
How do I do that Cheese ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-11-08, 09:09 AM   #19  
Take the plug out, connect it to the plug wire, make sure the metal end of the spark plug is touching metal on the engine, have someone pull the rope while you observe the plug. Watch for a bright blue repeating spark at the gap at the electrode.

God bless!

NC

05-11-08, 10:09 AM   #20  
Will do, I assumed as long as the mower started the plug was fine...I never have a problem starting it, just keeping it running.
What do I do next if it has no spark ?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-11-08, 10:24 PM   #21  
That's why I want you to check for spark when it dies. That's when it's not running. It's sparking just fine when it starts up, but what about when it dies??

God bless!

NC

05-20-08, 12:27 PM   #22  
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help Cheese as well as the rest of you.
I finaly turned in the mower to be fixed at the local John Deere dealer.
The fly wheel was chipped in 2 places & the warranty should cover that & hopefully I will get it back any day now.

I did learn something, I learned that if you absolutely have to have your grass cut & it was tall....you can get it done with a little 4 hp Yard Machine.

Now if that little Yard Machine got it done...my Deere JS45 Self Propeled 8.78 should do it easy....I have aprox 1 acre.

Search this Thread