B&S 15.5 runs very loud, won't stay running

Old 04-14-08, 07:28 AM
B&S 15.5 runs very loud, won't stay running

I recently put a new flywheel and starter gear on my Briggs and Stratton 15.5 horse riding mower (M#-28n707, Typr-0173-01, Code-960802ZD). I rode it up and down the alley several times afterwards and it ran just fine. I parked it in the driveway for a few hours and my buddy decided to move it for me. He said it backfired, that's when I heard it running very loud from the back yard. The muffler looked like it was bulging as a result of the backfire. I took the muffler apart and TIG welded the baffle around the edges to the lower half then welded it back together. The reason I did so is because where the muffler was bulged there was a space between the sides of the muffler and the baffle. It still ran the same. I've cleaned the carb twice with no change. It has 120 psi compression. Any suggestions? thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-08, 12:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds to me like you didn't get the flywheel bolt tight enough, or maybe got grease on the crankshaft where the flywheel goes, and it sheared the flywheel key.

Old 04-17-08, 12:48 PM
it ran fine for about a half an hour though. I'll go take the fly wheel off now. thanks

Old 04-17-08, 12:51 PM
Does anyone know the tourque spec for the flywheel bolt? I didn't think to take it off with a tourque wrench so I didn't know what to re-tourque it at.

Old 04-17-08, 03:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It may have been shut off at too high of rpm and the unburned fuel ignited when it hit the red hot exhaust system, I constantly tell my men not to do this cause it blows the muff. and can cause a reverse direction of the engine and break the cam shaft, Onans are notorious for this backfire but the Briggs Vanguard will break a cam doing this, it has happened to me.

Old 04-17-08, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by pipefighter577 View Post
Does anyone know the tourque spec for the flywheel bolt?

100 Ft. Lbs......

Old 04-18-08, 12:25 PM
It was a sheared key. I don't work on small engines very often, I never would have thought of that. My neighbor had a key and I had it running in no time. Thanks for the help and tourque spec!!!

Old 04-19-08, 01:23 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great news! Glad you got it, and glad we could help! Thanks for the update.