B&S 25 Intek no compression

Old 04-14-08, 01:49 PM
B&S 25 Intek no compression

First post here and glad I found you guys. First let me say I screwed up. First cut of the season i just hopped on the mower and started cutting. After about 30 minutes the mower shut off. No smoke, no clatter just shut off. The starter turns the motor but it isn't even trying to start. When I went back to the shed to get my tools I noticed the oil on the ground (sand). Yep, the oil woudn't touch the dipstick when I checked it. The plugs are firing. No fuel past the fuel pump and I don't feel any compression.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Craftsmen model 917.272261 Engine 445777-0154

thanks,
Vern

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-08, 05:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you try to wipe up and pour in more oil to see where it is coming out of? This doesn't sound very promising, hate to say.

What happens if you try to wiggle the blade shaft side to side?; any play? Also, make sure blade is tight to the holder. A loose blade can kill a motor. But, the oil business is not good.

Old 04-14-08, 06:17 PM
The oil appeared to be coming from the oil drain on the side of the block. It's one of those "quick drain" types. I cleaned the motor carefully and didn't see anything around the heads or under the motor except right under that drain.The shaft turns freely when the engine is turning.

Old 04-14-08, 06:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I'm speaking generalities without actually knowing your unit. Maybe all you have to do is get a better o-ring or tighten soemthing to stop the oil.

Regarding the compression, how are you checking for that?

Old 04-14-08, 06:49 PM
I took the pugs out and held my thumb over the hole. Nothing.

Old 04-14-08, 08:46 PM
No compression, No Oil big problem

remember Murphy was an optimist

Old 04-14-08, 11:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You've almost certainly got a broken connecting rod, among other possible problems. The short terminology: Your engine's blown.

Old 04-16-08, 07:18 AM
I'm trying to locate an engine manual locally before I order one. In the mean time, does this engine have a compression release? If the connecting rods broke wouldn't there be unusual noises when the engine turns? It spins freely with no grinding or knocking noises.

Vern

Old 04-16-08, 09:27 PM
if the rod is broken that usually will let them spin freely with no noise unless it broke right next to the piston.
remember Murphy was an optimist

Search this Thread