Tecumseh 12hp won't spark

Old 04-14-08, 04:27 PM
Tecumseh 12hp won't spark

Hey I have a tecumseh ovxl120 2020008 12hp engine worked a couple days ago but now it turns over but won't start checked the spark against the block and didn't see anything, the gap between the magnet and coil is close. the only thing i can think of is there is a grounded wire somewhere or the starter module is bad. Any advise is helpful Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-08, 04:47 PM
no spark

If this is on some type of mower, and you hit something that stopped the engine. check the FLYWHEEL shear pin ( key) if it has sheared even a little bit it will change the timing and won't run

Old 04-14-08, 04:55 PM
I tried to get the flywheel off, undid the nut ontop and tried to take it off but it seemed stuck on there was there something i forgot to do or should i just pull harder. Also i thought that if the timing was off it would still spark just at the wrong time.

Old 04-14-08, 05:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
These never just slide off. Very tight fit that becomes real tight with the keyway [shear (soft metal) key]. First you might want to spray between shaft and flywheel with a penetrant. Without a puller you have to improvise and use hammer and block of wood on shaft as you hold or have someone else hold the mower up by the flywheel. Careful, as often when they come loose they suddenly drop. Just suspend the mower just bareky off the ground, and that will suffice. Do not hit metal to metal and mushroom end of shaft. Use block of wood with hammer.

If someone else has a more tried and true method, feel free to jump in and share.

Old 04-14-08, 11:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No...leave the flywheel. It's very rare for a riding mower engine to shear a flywheel key, and for that you would use a puller to remove the flywheel anyway. Make sure you torque the flywheel nut sufficiently when you put it back on or it will shear the key once you get it to start.

You are correct, it would still fire regardless of whether or not the key is sheared.

Access the coil/module and remove the kill wire from it. Check for spark. If there still is no spark with a known-good spark plug, then you have a bad coil/module. If you do have spark, then there is a kill circuit problem.

Old 04-15-08, 03:30 PM
thanks for the help guys I think I'm going to get a new module I was told I need a new 35135B module, but I'm having trouble finding one of these any advice.

Old 04-15-08, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
No...leave the flywheel. It's very rare for a riding mower engine to shear a flywheel key, and for that you would use a puller to remove the flywheel anyway.
Just wanted to point out I simply answered his question about wanting to get it off for whatever reason, without getting into the actual diagnostics. Just thought I'd clear that up. Otherwise one feels kinda dopey when one person says to do something and another person says not to. As said, he said he wanted to somehow try to get it off. You can presume he has no puller. I've gotten plenty off with said method.

Old 04-16-08, 11:04 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dodge 834,

I have no info on any 35135B coil. The proper coil as far as I see is 35135A. Should run you around 30-35 bucks.

ecman51,

I agree...and I didn't mean to make you feel dopey. My intent was to steer dodge834 away from removing the flywheel, since it wouldn't affect the issue anyway. I have also removed a zillion flywheels using the method you described, but I'd rather persuade folks to go rent a puller from the local auto parts store instead, for obvious reasons. You know, some folks don't know which end of a screwdriver is the handle, and I'm sure dodge834 isn't one of them, but give some folks a hammer and a crankshaft, and they'll give you a ruined engine. Anyway, I didn't mean to come across rudely and your replies are more than welcome here.