Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1983 Lawn boy won't run properly

TN

04-15-08, 02:25 PM   #1  
1983 Lawn boy won't run properly

I have a 1983 2 cycle 21" Lawnboy that won't run properly. It was stored for about 5 years and initially wouldn't run at all. I checked compression and got a reading of 90. I then bought a new carb, and, with starting fluid, it began to run, but always dies under load. My wife says "Throw it out!!" but it was a "sweet cutting" machine before and I wonder if I should give up, or maybe replace the underdeck muffler. Could it be clogged? I have also installed a new primer bulb and hose, new wheels and blade.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-16-08, 11:24 PM   #2  
If you've never puller the muffler under it and cleaned the exhaust port, it's probably due by now. Use a thin piece of wood or other object that won't scratch the metal to get the carbon buildup out of the port on the engine. See if that does the trick.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TN

04-17-08, 06:34 AM   #3  
Thanks for the info

Posted By: Clay3 I have a 1983 2 cycle 21" Lawnboy that won't run properly. It was stored for about 5 years and initially wouldn't run at all. I checked compression and got a reading of 90. I then bought a new carb, and, with starting fluid, it began to run, but always dies under load. My wife says "Throw it out!!" but it was a "sweet cutting" machine before and I wonder if I should give up, or maybe replace the underdeck muffler. Could it be clogged? I have also installed a new primer bulb and hose, new wheels and blade.
Thanks for the info. I'll try it. Clay3

Search this Thread