1983 Lawn boy won't run properly

Old 04-15-08, 02:25 PM
1983 Lawn boy won't run properly

I have a 1983 2 cycle 21" Lawnboy that won't run properly. It was stored for about 5 years and initially wouldn't run at all. I checked compression and got a reading of 90. I then bought a new carb, and, with starting fluid, it began to run, but always dies under load. My wife says "Throw it out!!" but it was a "sweet cutting" machine before and I wonder if I should give up, or maybe replace the underdeck muffler. Could it be clogged? I have also installed a new primer bulb and hose, new wheels and blade.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-08, 11:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you've never puller the muffler under it and cleaned the exhaust port, it's probably due by now. Use a thin piece of wood or other object that won't scratch the metal to get the carbon buildup out of the port on the engine. See if that does the trick.

Old 04-17-08, 06:34 AM
Thanks for the info

Originally Posted by Clay3 View Post
I have a 1983 2 cycle 21" Lawnboy that won't run properly. It was stored for about 5 years and initially wouldn't run at all. I checked compression and got a reading of 90. I then bought a new carb, and, with starting fluid, it began to run, but always dies under load. My wife says "Throw it out!!" but it was a "sweet cutting" machine before and I wonder if I should give up, or maybe replace the underdeck muffler. Could it be clogged? I have also installed a new primer bulb and hose, new wheels and blade.
Thanks for the info. I'll try it. Clay3