Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Mantis tiller-Tines won't turn!!!

SD

04-15-08, 09:59 PM   #1  
Mantis tiller-Tines won't turn!!!

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have a Mantis tiller that I purchased last year. It was great! I hauled it everywhere, and tilled all that I could, and performed perfect PMCS on it. I put it away for the winter last year, and now the tines won't turn. Actually it seems that the throttle does nothing to engage the tines, nor speed up the engine. The tines turn when I turn them by hand, and the gear inside the housing looks great and properly greased. Unfortunately the book doesn't say a whole lot, and I did check the only thing they had listed, that the housing was seated properly. What could be going on here?

If anyone can help me figure this out, I will gladly send them cookies!

Sponsored Links

NY

04-16-08, 04:39 AM   #2  
If i'm understanding you correctly, you are getting no throttle response when you squeeze the trigger control. Correct? If so and since this tiller has a centrifugal clutch to actuate the tines then you must take care of the throttle issue.

SD

04-16-08, 05:54 AM   #3  
Right-no response from the throttle. So what does that mean? Any suggestions on how to fix this? I'm mechanically minded, but 2-stroke engines are so simple they make my head hurt. Isn't it strange that I can rebuild a tranny but working on a 2-stroke is like hitting a brick wall? lol Please help!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-16-08, 10:42 PM   #4  
I would suspect that the throttle cable is stuck, or the throttle shaft in the carb is stuck.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

SD

04-16-08, 10:58 PM   #5  
Gee gang, upon further inspection, I found that the cute little red throttle handle is broke. Guess when my husband was cleaning the shop this winter, he rearranged and was none too gentle. What does cold plastic do? It breaks. Yeah. I was wondering if maybe I could machine a metal handle for this? Just a thought. I've already ordered the part, but it's a thought. If a part is going to take a lot of stress, why would you make it plastic of all things? even would would hold up better. Maybe I'll whittle my self a trigger for the next time this breaks, as I'm sure it will. lol. I'll keep you updated and see if this solves my problem.

SD

04-16-08, 11:01 PM   #6  
omg! I spelled wood would I definitely need to go to bed. I'm not ignorant really, just really tired of tillers, and OPE in general. lol

Search this Thread