Craftsman LT1000 won't move!

Old 04-17-08, 10:32 AM
Craftsman LT1000 won't move!

Craftsman LT1000 with automatic transmission won't move at all. I'm getting it ready for the spring, changed the oil, sharpened the blades, filled it with gas, and charged the battery. It starts and runs great. When I started to move, it wouldn't go at all. Then it would go a little and stop, and do that over and over. So I put it forward and then reverse, back and forth, and finally it started going normally. So I drove around the yard a couple times and then it just stopped. So I'm thinking it could be the brake locking up. I left the parking brake on all winter, I'm being told now that was a bad idea! I adjusted the brake and still nothing. It won't move at all now.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-08, 03:41 PM
Can you post the model number off the white label under the seat ? Should start with 917.xxxxxx

Old 04-17-08, 04:57 PM

Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 04-17-08, 06:13 PM
OK joemammy,

First check the hydro disengagement rod on the back of the unit and make sure it's pushed in all the way.

Check the belt and make sure it's in good condition and on all the pulleys and tight with the clutch out.

If both the above check OK the pins in the brake yoke could be stuck and still applying the brake even though you adjusted the brake. You may need to remove the brake assembly and drive the pins out then clean and re-assemble.

If the brake is in fact not dragging, Hydro rod is engaged and the belt is good you may try bleeding any air from the unit. If that doesn't work check the hydro oil level.

The below link will take you to a thread with bleeding and oil level check procedures.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=342185

Good Luck

Old 04-18-08, 07:10 AM
It doesn't appear to be the brake, the rods were both out. In fact, I left the brake off and it still wouldn't go.

The rod in the back is in. But when it's pulled out I have a hard time pushing or pulling the mower. When the mower is on jack and I spin a wheel, the other one moves in the opposite direction.

The belt looks to be in good condition, maybe slightly loose, but not bad. How do you check if this is tight with the clutch out? Because I don't think I have a clutch.

Hydro oil level is OK.

Last edited by joemama123; 04-18-08 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-18-08, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by joemama123 View Post
The belt looks to be in good condition, maybe slightly loose, but not bad. How do you check if this is tight with the clutch out? Because I don't think I have a clutch.
Well, What you have there is a brake/clutch pedal. The pedal when pushed moves the idler pulley away from the belt (loosens belt) to assure disengagement of the hydro unit before the brakes apply near the end of it's travel.

Old 04-18-08, 01:22 PM
Got it fixed!

I checked the belt again, and noticed one of the pulley's was broken. Replaced with a part off another Craftsman mower that we have with a transmission out. It worked great!

Thanks for all your help.

Old 04-18-08, 04:56 PM
No Problem Joe.....