Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Riding Mower dies after 2 minutes

TN

04-18-08, 09:35 AM   #1  
Riding Mower dies after 2 minutes

Hello! Im new here and I need your help! My dad gave me his old riding mower 2 days ago. Its my first riding mower! It was working fine last year. I do not know the model number but I do know that it is a 13hp briggs and stratton engine. What happens is after I crank it, choked, it will blow out black smoke and will run for 2 minutes. When it starts to die I can pull the choke again and it will keep running but contunie to try and die. I replaced the battery yesterday because it wouldnt crank at all. I noticed the oil was low so I added some and it runs a little longer. What could be the problem? The foam filter cover is pretty dirty but the filter is not. I thought about changing the filter and the spark plug. Do you think that could be all it is??? Thanks

P.S. I didnt know about this website until today! I cant wait to spend the rest of my work day browsing

Sponsored Links

MN

04-18-08, 11:24 AM   #2  
I would change the spark plug, clean the foam pre-filter, and replace the paper air filter if it is dirty. (make sure the plug is gapped to the proper spec.. usually .030") Personally, I'd change the oil also as it wouldn't hurt to start from a clean maintenence slate. If after doing these things the engine continues to run in the matter it does then a Carb Cleaning and rebuild is in order. If the Carb needs a rebuild, I would go to a Briggs and Stratton dealer and get a rebuild kit (usually about 20-25$). They only need the model and type numbers to pull the right kit. (these numbers are on the flywheel shroud usually on top near the spark plug)

hope this helps you!

-Tim

Fyi: adding oil will not make an engine run longer or better unless it has no oil left in it.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 04-18-08 at 11:43 AM. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed

TN

04-18-08, 11:38 AM   #3  
Thanks. Yeah that helps. I was worried that someone would say that it was the carb. Ive never rebuilt one before but wouldnt mind doing it. Oh and the oil was extremely low, I just left that part out to minimize the already long story of my mower. Thanks again

MN

04-18-08, 08:25 PM   #4  
Posted By: ramit45 Thanks. Yeah that helps. I was worried that someone would say that it was the carb. Ive never rebuilt one before but wouldnt mind doing it. Oh and the oil was extremely low, I just left that part out to minimize the already long story of my mower. Thanks again
Depending on the style of carburetor, its really not that bad. If this engine has an actual fuel pump that may complicate stuff a little bit.. If you could, post the model and type numbers from the engine's flywheel shroud. This way we can even walk you through the rebuild. In most cases, the carb is pretty easy to do as long as you have a few tools and a basic mechanical knowledge. (knowing the difference between a phillips and standard screwdriver for example) We'd be glad to help!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-08, 12:48 AM   #5  
Just a side note...try loosening the gas cap when it begins to die and see if it helps. If so, the vent in the gas cap is clogged. Also make sure the fuel shutoff valve (if equipped) is open all the way, and the fuel lines aren't pinched, or old and deteriorating, collapsing on the insides.

LegalV8 probably has you on the right track, but I figured I'd mention these things that are quick and easy to check, and viable possibilities.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

TN

04-19-08, 07:22 AM   #6  
Thanks guys! I will get the model # and all other #'s tonight. I will also check the gas cap. Is there supposed to be a hole in the actual cap because there isnt

Group Moderator

FL

04-19-08, 07:27 AM   #7  
The vent hole in the cap may not show up as a visible hole, depends on the design of the cap. Any chance it has an in-line fuel filter in the fuel line? Could be clogged.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

TN

04-19-08, 07:45 AM   #8  
Im not sure. I havent had time in the past couple days to check it out. I do not think I would know anyway. Im a rookie at this. I bought some fuel injector/carb cleaner last night. I was going to try that too. I will post the engine info tonight. Oh and I screwed up on the engine brand. My push mower is a Briggs. Its actually a Tecumesh. It is 13hp though

Search this Thread