Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Trouble removing a sreering wheel

AL

04-18-08, 03:46 PM   #1  
Trouble removing a sreering wheel

I've got a John Deere LT155 in that I have to remove the steering column. According to a an IPL on the lawn mower, there is a shoulder bolt holding the steering wheel on. I've removed the nut and the bolt won't knock out. I've even started the nut back on and tried to knock the bolt out with a steel punch...however it hasn't moved yet. The opposite end has a phillip's head but I can't budge it. Anyone have some suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-08, 01:13 AM   #2  
I've had the same problem, and have run into one or two that refused to come off. I broke one steering wheel on a deere trying to remove it. The only thing I can suggest is to do like you have, putting the nut back on and drive it out. If you ruin the bolt, get another. Good luck. They usually cooperate, but every once in a while.....

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

AL

04-19-08, 10:39 AM   #3  
Cheese,
I finally got the screw out and I can see why it was so hard to remove...the bolt was covered with splines. The only thing is now I have another problem. I can't seem to remove the steering wheel from the shaft. I have tried prying and I've tried using two long thin wedges. So far I can't get it to budge. I've also sprayed penetrating oil in the bolt hole. Any ideas?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-08, 09:42 PM   #4  
Got an air powered impact hammer? I have had to resort to using one with a blunt pin in the end of it to drive some steering wheels off.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread