Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

briggs 10 hp becomes locked up

KY

04-18-08, 05:49 PM   #1  
briggs 10 hp becomes locked up

snapper rider w/10 hp briggs, will lock up after trying to start, I reach under and turn pulley on motor shaft to release bind. will again try to start , but it again freezes up. any ideas? THANX

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-08, 01:06 AM   #2  
Is it full of oil? Maybe too full? Does the oil smell like gas? Can you turn the engine by hand 2 complete revolutions?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

KY

04-19-08, 07:23 AM   #3  
proper oil level , no, cant turn 2 revolutions, turn almost 1 rev and again gets in bind

KY

04-19-08, 10:31 AM   #4  
UPDATE INFO! after freeing up motor, removed plug and pulled recoil rope 4 times , on last pull the motor frove up again.???

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-08, 09:45 PM   #5  
Sounds like maybe one of the magnets under the flywheel came loose and is hitting the stator. Is the piston moving when you turn the engine? Could be a broken rod hitting something on the inside.

God bless!

FL

04-20-08, 08:13 AM   #6  
Can you post the engine model and type numbers ?

As cheese asked, Is the piston moving ?

Did this engine run fine the last time you used it ?

Has it been sitting up any length of time ?

I have seen excessive carbon build-up on piston/head and valves, When sat up the carbon dries out. When pulled out and tried to start the carbon pops loose and piles in the bottom of the cylinder stopping piston movement.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

04-20-08, 08:16 AM   #7  
Did you carefully look in plug hole as you rotated engine to top dead? Any fluid come out plug hole?, or perhaps went unnoticed? Or screw down inside moving around, going up a valve, then falling back out, etc.

Not that this is it, but worth the checking into.

I am presuming you are going by rotating the blade (with plug wire off) and not pulling on some pull cord in assessing the motor does not turn, hopefully.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-08, 10:21 AM   #8  
Posted By: ecman51` I am presuming you are going by rotating the blade (with plug wire off) and not pulling on some pull cord in assessing the motor does not turn, hopefully.

It doesn't work that way on this mower. The blade is belt driven. Gotta pull the rope or run the starter.

God bless!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

WI

04-20-08, 10:30 AM   #9  
Then I worded my post to not be understood right. That is what I was actually implying.

Therefore, if what you are saying is true, he COULD, in theory, have a bind in his starting mechanism, as opposed to the motor, unless he were to try to turn the motor shaft (I said blade, but that is what I was implying I hoped he was trying to do, as it works that way with a direct drive). And do we know that he WAS trying to turn the motor shaft?

One cannot presume anything, I have learned.

Hmmm. Now after re-reading OP again, he WAS turning the motor shaft pulley. How did I miss that?!

Nevermind. My bad. (I can erase this post in a bit perhaps.)

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-08, 10:37 AM   #10  
No problem...just didn't want the original poster trying to flip the riding mower and turn the blade. I doubt they're trying to turn the engine by the shaft, it's not the simplest thing to do on these old snappers, assuming this is a rear-engine rider since it has a 10hp engine. The tractor style usually had a bigger engine.

God bless!

KY

04-20-08, 01:54 PM   #11  
Hidy fellas, To free motor up i now remove recoil mech and top motor cover then gently pry flywheel (i said gently) to release bind ,piston is moving no excess noise ,compression good, Yes, i was having trouble with this mower last season.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-08, 11:43 PM   #12  
Still sounds like it could be one of the magnets under the flywheel.

God bless!

10-19-08, 05:26 AM   #13  
Try pulling the spark plug to see if the cylinder has filled with fuel due to faulty Needle and Seat. It can happen. Be sure you remove the plug wire and secure it away from the spark plug if you are rotating the motor shaft.

Search this Thread