Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Riding mower resale value

04-18-08, 08:18 PM   #1  
Riding mower resale value

How fast do riding mowers lose value? I am looking at a 4-year-old Husqvarna riding mower with a 48" deck and 21HP. The guy said the mower was $1900 new. I see one with a 48" deck and <u>23HP</u> at lowes.com for $1800. The mower has only 19.5 hours on it. Considering the new price of $1800 for a slightly more powerful mower with the same size deck, how much should the 48" with 21HP be worth today? Is it like a car where it loses a good amount as soon as you take it home?

Ryan

Sponsored Links

OH

04-18-08, 10:27 PM   #2  
If you buy new, you have a warranty. Read the fine print.

If you buy through a dealer, you reportedly get better service and parts are available. If you buy at Lowe's, you can get better financing. If resale value is important, John Deere exceeds competitors per consumer reports.

I have also been told that the quality of the mowers sold at big box stores are not the same quality as those of same brand sold at dealers. Compare how they are made--axles, bushings, engine, etc. The big box products are made for volume sales with lower price point and are not the premium products sold at dealerships.

The latest issue of Consumer Reports Magazine compares lawn mowers and tractors. You might want to pick up a copy or check to see if your local library has one. Or, you can subscribe online at www.consumerreports.org

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-19-08, 12:41 AM   #3  
Husquvarna fares pretty well in my consumer reports magazine that recently rated lawnmowers. I think they are a great mower for the price generally. I would expect a mower 4 years old to be half to two-thirds the price of new, depending on condition. However.....if it truly has only 19.5 hours on it, that's just enough to have it's first oil change. No warranty anymore, but a real chance to save a bundle on a mower so new you might as well call it new. It may need a battery and carb cleaning if it hasn't been used lately, so keep that in mind. If you could talk them out of it for $1000 to $1200 in running condition, and it is in otherwise great condition, you can walk away smiling. It could be worth more, but how much is warranty worth? That's a question each person may answer differently.

If the person is asking you to make the offer, start low, make a $650 offer and they may take it. I've sold a few mowers for much less than they were worth just to move them.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-19-08, 05:39 AM   #4  
Thanks for the responses. The guy is selling it locally for $1350 and I thought that was a little steep since that's only knocking off $100 pear year since new (if purchased at today's price). I am going to try to see if I can bring his price down a bit. I think I'll go for it if I can get it for $1000.

Ryan

SC

04-20-08, 07:53 PM   #5  
i paid $1000 for a 1year old 15 hr husky with bagger and 2-yr waraanty. He will not get more than $900

Search this Thread