Honda 3009 solenoid removal

Old 04-19-08, 09:49 AM
Honda 3009 solenoid removal

Hi -

Just joined and this site looks great for the aspiring gearhead! I actually have been restoring motorcycles and ATV's for many years - even did an old John Deere 112, but this is my first rear engine rider.

I have a newly acquired Honda rear engine rider ht-r 3009. It didn't run, but now, with the carb newly cleaned and a new spark plug it will start. The problem is that the key must be turned multiple times to get the starter to engage. I have cleaned all connections that can be reached, but still the same problem. Took off the engine cover, sprayed electrical cleaner into the starter and it now engages more often, but still not every time. If the switch is turned to start, there is a click from the solenoid, and if the starter hasn't engaged a hit on the solenoid with a screwdriver handle will get it working. The problem is that the solenoid attached to the starter with phillips head screws, on the bottom and there is no way to access them. It appears that the starter can't come off unless I remove the flywheel. The only other option I see is to take the engine out - neither seems like a good option. Am I missing something here?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by anoldbikeguy View Post
It appears that the starter can't come off unless I remove the flywheel. The only other option I see is to take the engine out - neither seems like a good option. Am I missing something here?

Your not missing a thing, Either of the ways you stated is how it's done. Now, Since your a motorcycle/ATV wencher you can purchase any single small wire mower solenoid (a whole lot cheaper than Honda's) and mount it to the frame near the starter then wire it in.

Good Luck

Old 04-20-08, 06:22 AM
Angry I was afraid of that

Hi -

Thanks for the prompt reply!!

I think that this mower will be going on the resale block - I have $105 into it right now and don't think it is worth the time and effort to fix this right. The blade is trashed too - the guys wife hit a stump and the blades for these are way expensive too. Lesson learned - stick with what I know. Would a John Deere rear rider be a whole lot easier to work with? Any key difference in accessablity between the Kohler and Kawasaki powered ones?

Old 04-20-08, 07:35 AM
Originally Posted by anoldbikeguy View Post
I think that this mower will be going on the resale block - I have $105 into it right now and don't think it is worth the time and effort to fix this right.
That's why I mentioned the $15 solenoid, If the rest of the unit operates properly I'd slap one of these on it and at least triple my investment and let the buyer purchase the blade.

Honda's are in a league of their own for stupid things such as this while other brands are easier to manage/repair.

Now you mention Deere, Well....Deere parts are expensive as well so if you will need any OEM parts for this one don't be surprised at the price.

Good Luck

Old 04-20-08, 03:10 PM
whats easier - pulling the flywheel or the engine

Hi guy -

Is it easier to pull the flywheel or the engine?

Obviously, if I need a special flywheel puller it will cost big bucks.

Alex

Old 04-20-08, 04:00 PM
Alex,

It's much easier to pull the flywheel to me, You can go to a chain auto parts store and get a steering wheel puller (rent-a-tool program) to remove the flywheel.

The Honda solenoid is part #31204-ZA0-003 and list in the $57 range plus any shipping cost.

Good Luck

Old 04-20-08, 07:48 PM
I had same problem. I was able to get the solenoid off and replace. May need to get a different length screw driver..

My starter went out also one day (350+). I crank my mower with a cordless drill attached to a 24mm socket on top of the engine. works great

Old 07-08-08, 12:46 PM
I have the same problem, until I deal with the solenoid, I hotwire the solenoid directly to get it started.
To hotwire it, turn key on and run a heavy wire from battery (+terminal) to the other solenoid terminal (not the one with the big wire on it or the little wire on it... it's the other one... hidden under a rubber cover.) on the solenoid. Just touch it until it starts then remove wire. Be ready for a spark and a big noise. I make contact with the solenoid end of the wire first then tap the other end to the battery... (less fireworks this way if you touch the wrong part.)

Also here is a link to blades for this mower for $11each.

mill supply inc. or rustrepair.com
part number EA 2165 @ 11.75
BLADE 29-3/4"LX2-3/4"W