Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Problems w/ Bail-brake on Toro

IL

04-19-08, 11:23 AM   #1  
Problems w/ Bail-brake on Toro

Recently i removed the blade off of my 8 year old Toro mower to have it sharpened (long over due) and when i put it back on i'm running into trouble and unsure what to do.

What i'm finding is the pulling of the starter chord is much tighter AND the bail-brake now has no tension at all. It just moves back and forth as if it's not attached to the cable running to the engine, though the cable is still attached.

I check my manual and the operating & maintenance instructions manual and there is no mention of having to do anything special when removing and replacing a blade. Nor does it have any information about correcting the bail-brake if there are problems.

I also went to Toro.com and checked out their FAQ, manuals, etc but came to a dead end there

Any thoughts on what to do?

Sponsored Links

CA

04-19-08, 01:10 PM   #2  
What is the Model number of your mower?

WI

04-19-08, 03:28 PM   #3  
Which way did you tip the mower when you removed the blade. Air Cleaner side should have been up. You might have oil from the crank case causing a hydro lock in the cylinder. If so, remove the spark plug and see if it turns over easier. If the brake bail is moving too easy, you might have come disconnected at the engine or the cable fractured in the sheath. You can tell by looking at the brake lever the cable attaches to on the engine. Depending on the model some of the brake cables can pull through the plastic stop retainer on the handle bar and just needs to be reset but I can tell you more if we had the model number and first two digits of the serial number on the mower.

IL

04-20-08, 09:36 AM   #4  
Model number 20021
Serial number 200011194

Tipped it every which way

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-08, 10:46 AM   #5  
Remove the spark plug and see if it pulls easier. Be careful, it may spew gas or oil out the plug hole. Make sure the plug wire is tied back away from the hole in such a manner that it won't spark.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

IL

04-20-08, 12:09 PM   #6  
Took the spark plug out and that helped "free" the pull rope as i would hardly budge before. Though it still would not pull as well as before and did not start.

I checked the cable for the bail-brake on both ends and it is fully connected (no breaks) as i could pull on either end and see it working on the other.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-08, 11:53 PM   #7  
When you pull down the bail, do you see the brake mechanism on the engine operate? Can you move the brake even further by hand, with the bail held down?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CA

04-21-08, 05:13 AM   #8  
Remove the air filter and try starting it. If you had gas and oil in the cylinder, the air filter is probably coated with oil and no air is passing through.

Your model shows to have an adjustable engine brake cable, you can loosen the clamp near the top of the handle and slide the cable down a little and tighten the clamp back. This may help if the cable is loose.

Search this Thread