Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

14.5 HP I/C OHV Idles Fast, Runs WAY too fast

TX

04-19-08, 02:11 PM   #1  
14.5 HP I/C OHV Idles Fast, Runs WAY too fast

B&S 287707, 0224. I recently took the carb off and cleaned and installed new seat / needle. I've taken carbs off before and cleaned overhauled. I believe all linkage is back to where it should be.

Throttle moves well and easily, manual choke moves well and easily. When idling, engine seems to be running fast, when I increase speed, engine revs way too high for my liking. The only way to adjust speed is to choke it down. But then it runs like dog-poo.

If the deck is engaged the RPMs drop and the mower engine speed at full throttle, sounds about right. If I disengage the deck, the engine REVs take off. I thought maybe an idle adjustment screw or fast adjustment screw needed attention, adjusting them had no affect what so ever.

I did some research about this problem and found some reads that possibly the governor needs adjusting.

Anything to point me in the right direction. Also, is there a way to tell if the governor is my problem ? I've never had to adjust a governor before. So be easy with me, it will be my first time.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

FL

04-19-08, 04:59 PM   #2  
Well Rain Man,

I can't be any easier on you than posting the governor adjustment procedure straight from the Briggs service manual;

1. Loosen screw holding governor arm to governor crank.

2. Rotate throttle plate linkage from idle position to full throttle position.
Note direction of rotation of the governor arm attached to the throttle
linkage.

3. Place and hold the linkage in high speed position.

4. While holding the linkage in this position, Use a appropriate tool to rotate
the governor shaft until it stops in the direction noted in step 2.

5. tighten screw holding governor lever to governor crank. Torque to 35-45
in. lbs. (2.8-5.0 NM).

6. Before starting engine, Manually actuate governor linkage to check for binding.

Search this Thread