Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Bolens Rider stalls, won't turn over, AGAIN

TX

04-19-08, 03:09 PM   #1  
Bolens Rider stalls, won't turn over, AGAIN

Bought this thing used( it's a 2003). It has stalled three times in the last 6-8 usages. Same MO each time: My wife hits a bump and is jostled off the seat slightly. The mower dies. When tring to start the key turns but there is nothing. New battery, new tune up. We've had this in the shop twice for this and they have tuned it up, replaced battery, and released a brake(it also will not move even in neutral).

I can no longer afford to take it to the shop so I have to figure it out. To me it sounds like a malfunction of the safety system.

Has anyone had similar problems and have some ideas how to fix?

Thanks guys!

Centexronzo

Sponsored Links

FL

04-19-08, 07:33 PM   #2  
It would be most helpful if you could post the model numbers off this unit so we can see exactly what you have there.

TX

04-20-08, 08:47 AM   #3  
Oops. Meant to do that. Here is the model number:

13AM662F163

B&S engine: 15 hp 283H07 Family: YBSXS.5012VP274826

Thanks for the response.

FL

04-20-08, 02:26 PM   #4  
OK,

I've taken a look at your unit and have a couple questions before I unleash....

You say this has happened three times in 6/8 usages, What are you doing to get it to finally start to get another use ?

Also, When it does stop and the key is turned to the start position does it make any noise at all like a clicking ?

TX

04-20-08, 04:41 PM   #5  
EGG on FACE

Took one more look and the blade engagement lever was not in the STOP position. I could have sworn I checked it before. It now starts.

My apologies for the post here at this time but it has happened twice before and I have never understood what occurs to cause it. So even though it now starts I will not be surprised when it happens again legitimately.

In the past even with the blade disengaged, the clutch in, and the tranny in neutral it would not even turn over. No click, nothing. And it was locked up and would not roll at all.

The shop would come and haul it in since I could not get it to even roll in neutral. First time they said they released the brakes. Second time they said the battery was dead(it was new but tested dead) and put in a new one and did a tune up.

First time it happened the wife rolled over a small bump and was moved off the seat briefly.

The second time it happened was then the movers we used put it on a trailer. They said it locked up on them and would not roll in neutral.

I spoke to the lead guy at at the small engine shop the second time it happened trying to understand if we were doing something wrong or what was up. He did not have an explanation as to what had caused it to stop and lock up.

I can understand it happening if the driver leaves the seat with the motor on and the blade or tranny engaged. But having it basically disabled with no ability to start or roll is a real drag.

FL

04-20-08, 08:18 PM   #6  
Alright "Egg on Face" lol....

I'm sure it will happen again, See....The switch for the deck handle is mounted under the fwd/rev shifter cover plate, It's mounted with the plunger facing up so sand/water and crud can enter it and cause intermittent contact.

Now for the locking up, Make sure you share this with the shop you took the unit to.

The brake pins have sand/rust on them and are hanging up in the yoke, Do as below and have the wife push the brake/clutch then let up while you pull the lever back for full disengagement. Do this 5 or 6 times to work the penetrating oil into the yoke.

Cya....

TX

04-21-08, 03:26 PM   #7  
Lightbulb On

At last, a rational reason why this is going on.

Makes me wonder about my shop!

Thanks 31YTech, your input is greatly appreciated.

May you never meet a dead armadillo...

FL

04-21-08, 04:18 PM   #8  
Hey....No problem, It is kinda sad you had to resort to on-line help to solve a problem by yourself your local shop couldn't but it happens.

Happy Mowing !

Search this Thread