Craftsman Lawn Tractor won't start

Old 04-19-08, 04:15 PM
Craftsman Lawn Tractor won't start

I have a Craftsman Model 917.272140 lawn tractor that won't run. I am getting spark, and I am gettig fuel to the float bowl. If I spray starting fuel in the carb, it will fire. Replaced fuel soleniod, did not work.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-08, 07:16 PM
Sounds like the carb needs to be cleaned....

Take the carb. off then tear it down, Spray carb. & choke cleaner with the straw through ALL ports, passages and jets then blow it out with compressed air if available then re-assemble, Clean the fuel tank and flush/replace the fuel hose and install a new fuel filter.

Old 04-20-08, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I tried all of that before I replaced the solenoid. Very confused about it. But I will try your suggestions again, maybe I missed a port. I know I am pumping fuel to the carb and I know I am getting spark because if I pour fuel into the carb, it will run. So it has to be something to do with the carb. Or so I would think.

Old 04-22-08, 09:29 AM
Tractor won't start

I am having this same problem with a Craftsman 21.0hp. Carburetor was relaced by mechanic late last season and seemed to run OK for last weeks of season. Started OK this season but kept stalling or hesitating while I cut the lawn 1st time. Yesterday, stopped running and now will not start. I have cleaned/replaced plugs, replaced fuel filter & new gas. Fuel is flooding carb. What to do now?

Old 04-22-08, 10:10 AM
Fisheye -
No offense but are you pulling the choke out? I know my engine won't start without choking it. Had to ask.
Also, with the float bowl off and the solenoid wires connected, you should see the pin in the solenoid retract/extend when you turn the ignition on/off (don't crank).

Consider soaking the carb in carb cleaner overnight after removing the bowl & float. Sounds like there is some crud stuck in the passages.

Del- same thing....consider soaking your carb in carb cleaner. Replacing your float might solve the flooding problem.

Old 04-22-08, 05:52 PM
Thanks for both replies. I got it figured out. There was water getting into the gas tank from parking it with the seat up. Changed the fuel and it runs like a champ.

Search this Thread