Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murray rear engine rider won't crank

GA

04-20-08, 07:28 PM   #1  
Murray rear engine rider won't crank

My mower drive belt came loose last Fall. I drove the mower into my garage and parked it for the winter. 2 weeks ago I jacked up the front, changed the mower belt but left the mower on jack stands. I tried to use it today and the engine will not spin more than 2 turns and stops at the same spot each time. I turn back the stack pulley by hand and it turns back 2 times and then stop, I crank with the key and it turns 2 times and stop at the same spot. The rear wheels spin, oil level full, gas full, jump starting from car battery.
While turining the stack pulley by hand, there is a "air type noise" and at certain point. Drive belt was changed approx 2 yrs ago and looks good.
What could have changed in the engine from October to now to prevent the engine from cranking? If keeping the mower in the air at an angle was bad, what is the fix?
Tecumseh TVM220
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-20-08, 11:25 PM   #2  
While it was jacked up, oil ran into the cylinder and oil cannot be compressed, so the engine can't overcome the compression stroke with the oil in the cylinder. Remove the spark plug and crank the engine. It will blow oil out of the plug hole. Make sure the plug wire is tied back out of the way so it can't spark in case gas comes out the hole. Clean the plug and dry it, or replace it, and see if it starts then. If so, it will probably smoke like a coal train, but let it run a while and it should clear up.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

GA

04-21-08, 07:22 PM   #3  
Excellent diagnosis. I came home late and I was not able to try and start the mower, but I remove the spark plug and the stack pulley spins freely with the plug removed. There was oil on the plug and I will just replace. I notice that if I put my finger over the spark plug hole, I could feel a suction there. I should be home before dark tomorrow, and I will try and start the mower and post the result today.
Thank You very much.

GA

04-27-08, 05:43 AM   #4  
Problem solved

I cranked the mower several times with the spark plug removed and then I installed the spark plug and started the mower. It stalled a few times and rang rough at first. a huge cloud of oil smoke came out but eventually I used the mower for approx 30 minutes and it ran fine.
Thanks for the advise and help.

Search this Thread