push mower problems

Old 04-20-08, 08:04 PM
push mower problems

My push mower has been acting up a little since last summer but this spring it keeps shutting off altogether. I accidentally overfilled the oil last summer when it started messing up. I drained it and it is at the right level now so I changed the filter but its still getting bogged down. I know it might be the carburetor, but not sure where to go from here.

The mower was purchased brand new last year from Wal-Mart. Here are the specs:

* 500 series engine with 158cc Briggs & Stratton motor
* Model# 961140003

Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-08, 11:17 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'd say clean the carb first of all, but the engine model number would help, (I'm guessing the number you gave was the model of the mower?)

Old 04-21-08, 05:50 AM
How do you go about cleaning the carburetor? The instruction book was general for multiple mowers and I've never really messed with it too much

Old 04-21-08, 04:42 PM
Post the engine model#, type# and code, usually found on the engine shroud just above the spark plug and someone will get you taken care of. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-21-08, 05:42 PM
Originally Posted by mhaste View Post
My push mower has been acting up a little since last summer but this spring it keeps shutting off altogether. I accidentally overfilled the oil last summer when it started messing up. I drained it and it is at the right level now so I changed the filter but its still getting bogged down. I know it might be the carburetor, but not sure where to go from here.

The mower was purchased brand new last year from Wal-Mart. Here are the specs:

* 500 series engine with 158cc Briggs & Stratton motor
* Model# 961140003
that model # is incorrect that 961140003 is actually the code # which tells me its a 1996 model and built in november the 4

your model # if this is a 4 hp engine i know exactily what is wrong with it does your carb have a primer bulb on it on the tank itself ?

Old 04-28-08, 07:19 AM
model #

Model # is 385150. It does have a Primer Pump on the side.

Your thoughts?

Old 04-28-08, 09:31 AM
I don't think that model number is correct but here we go.

You need to install a new diaphram kit, it is Briggs part # 795083 or old # 495770 also Lowe's has a kit #5083 which has the same parts.

Here we go;
Remove air cleaner, there are 2 bolts that hold things together, one on the front of the tank 3/8" and one into the block 1/2", remove these bolts, now "slowly" slide the carb/tank off the intake tube and breather tube, now tilt the tank in to release the throttle linkage and waalaa the carb/tank is removed. Remove the 5 screws from the carb/tank remove carb(don't loose the spring) now spray all holes, cracks and crevases in both the carb and tank surface with brake parts cleaner, remove the main screen(looks like a thimble) with a small screwdriver pry out the main jet(carefully) and clean it, reinstall the jet, it can be difficult some times to get it to snap back in place(I use the rounded end of a screwdriver handle). Remove and clean the fuel pickup stem. Clean any junk/rust from the tank. Install the diaphram on the tank then the gasket(no goo or sealer) now carefully replace the carb(the spring will try to misalign the diaphram), tighten all screws a little at a time so as not to crimp the diaphram until they are all tight. Install the carb/tank in reverse order and you are done. If I missed something one of the real mechanics will correct me. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-29-08, 06:51 PM
thanks

I went thru this process tonight and ran out of daylight before I got it all back together. I think it should work though...I was able to get everything cleaned up.

Thanks