Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Murray Self Propelled Mower won't drive.

04-21-08, 06:28 AM   #1  
Murray Self Propelled Mower won't drive.

I was sleepwalking last fall and ran my self propelled Murray into the bushes and yanked it back without releasing the drive bar on the handle. It stopped self propelling very soon thereafter. I think I stretched the wire that lifts up the drive mechanism. I tightened it by tying a knot it it but still won't drive. The belt was turning the flywheel on the top of the rear drive mechanism but I removed to inspect, It seems OK, not cracked or shredded but I really don't know much about belts. When I lift up the rear wheels off the ground and raise the drive mechanism as it would be by the wire, the both rear wheels turn at about speed as I turn the flywheel. Also, with the drive mechanism lifted up, I can't turn the rear wheels backwards. When I release the mechanism the wheels don't turn with the flywheel and I can spin them both ways although there is slight resistance and a slight clicking sound.

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-21-08, 10:57 PM   #2  
Is the pulley on the transaxle turning while the engine is running and the drive is engaged?

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

04-22-08, 06:09 AM   #3  
I'll check. The belt turns the pully when it is not engaged. If it doesn't turn the pully when it is engaged what is my next step?

Thanks for the response! Joe

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-22-08, 09:52 PM   #4  
If it doesn't turn while engaged, then the belt is slipping, and should probably be replaced.

God bless!

04-23-08, 06:13 AM   #5  
With the motor running, the belt turns the pully when engaged but the axles don't turn. By engaged I mean pulling the level that is meant to engage the transaxle. So it may not be trully engaging

When I first started, I turned off the motor, removed the belt, lifted the rear wheels off the ground and manually raised the transaxle as it would be by the wire to engage it. Both rear wheels turned when I manually turned the pully. Also, with the transaxle lifted up, I couldn't turn the rear wheels backwards. When I released the transaxle, the wheels didn't turn with the pully and I could spin them both clock and counter clock wise although there was slight resistance and a slight clicking sound.

I can pinch the belt a few inches from the pully and almost make the insides of the belt touch. So I don't know if the belt is slipping just enough not to be effective but I suspect that the drive mechanism is not engaging correctly. Or both, given how the problem started.

Any thoughts?

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-23-08, 11:23 PM   #6  
So now with the engine running, and the drive engaged, the pulley is turning but the axles are not? Even with the wheels lifted off the ground?

God bless!

04-24-08, 02:12 PM   #7  
YES! But like I said earlier I'm not sure the drive is truly engaged because I believe I may have stretched, or otherwise damaged the cable that runs between the transaxle and the lever on the handle to engage the transaxle. When I manually lift up the transaxle, as the cable is supposed to do, and manually turn the pully, the axles turn as well as the wheels.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-24-08, 11:46 PM   #8  
Is the cable moving a lever that would engage or disengage the gears, or just picking up on the tranny to engage the belt? Or is the cable even moving anything at all?

I can't get this straight, because you say the wheels turn when you turn the pulley, but don't when the engine turns the pulley? If the tranny just lifts up enough to tighten the belt, like it sounds like, then there is nothing to engage or disengage other than the belt. This would lead me back to thinking the belt is worn to the extent that the range of motion of the tilting tranny won't tighten the belt anymore.

God bless!

04-25-08, 03:02 AM   #9  
Cheese,

Thanks for staying with me on this. Turns out to replace my mower with one that's new is about $500 so I'd like to get this solved. There is a bar that pulls the belt tighter when the lever on the handle is pulled. Like I said earlier I can almost pinch the belt by the pully so the the inside edges touch. I'll replace it and see whe're I'm left. I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Search this Thread