Push Mower will not stay running

Old 04-21-08, 05:55 PM
Push Mower will not stay running

Hello I'm having with my mower, it's a craftsman model 917.385340 4.75 HP

It will start up but will die in a couple of seconds, it appears to not be sucking any gas out of the tank because the more i prime it the longer it will stay running.

I replaced the spark plug, replaced air filter, cleaned out the carb, cleaned out the fuel lines, and still am getting no result.

When I prime it 3x it will run for about 5 seconds, when i prime it 15~20x it will run for about 35 seconds.

Any suggesstions?

Its a briggs & stratton engine with a Model-Type-Code of:
10M902-0489-E2-05102554

Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-08, 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by kingjim9 View Post
Hello I'm having with my mower, it's a craftsman model 917.385340 4.75 HP

It will start up but will die in a couple of seconds, it appears to not be sucking any gas out of the tank because the more i prime it the longer it will stay running.

I replaced the spark plug, replaced air filter, cleaned out the carb, cleaned out the fuel lines, and still am getting no result.

When I prime it 3x it will run for about 5 seconds, when i prime it 15~20x it will run for about 35 seconds.

Any suggesstions?

Its a briggs & stratton engine with a Model-Type-Code of:
10M902-0489-E2-05102554
did you remove the carb from the gas tank if not you need too inside the tank is a resorvoir that the intake tube goes down and that screen on the carb goes inside that resorvoir

inside the tank in that area look down and see if you see any grit and sand substance you may have to dry up the fuel in that entrance where the carb sets on the tank
in order to see what im talking about

i get tons of these in my repair shop and its always the same symptoms as you are describing here so after i give you the solution to your problem you can rep me for being a big help

the thing is you need to get a air nozzle and cover the entrance to the gas tank inner with a towel or something take a nozzle air nozzle and put it inside the tank and be wearing some safety glasses also

give it a little air to blow that trash substance out of that chamber you may have to use a pick tool to get the excess substance loosen once that is loosen and removed with air get you a new 495770 briggs diaphragm and gasket kit and put the gasket on first against the carb and then the diaphragm goes over the gasket on the outside of the carb

reinstall everything give it about 5 primes on the primer bulb and it should fire up and stay running

hope this helps you

calvin

Old 04-21-08, 06:36 PM
Loosen the gas cap and see if it will start and run normal. If it does the vent hole in the cap is blocked.