Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help with 8 hp horizontal Briggs

OH

04-22-08, 02:30 PM   #1  
Need help with 8 hp horizontal Briggs

I have an 8 hp Briggs engine # 190432, Type-6117. I'm having trouble keeping it running.
It always starts on the first pull and does well for a minute or two, but when I open the choke it dies unless I choke it again. It will run fairly smooth at about half choke, but I have to manually work the throttle shaft, which is only connected to the governor by a rod.
The governor was bent into the block behind the carburetor when I first got it. I cleaned the carburetor and set the high speed valve and the fuel mixture screw as mentioned in the manual. The governor has a rod with an adjustment nut. I need to know how to set the governor. Everything I've looked at tells me to take it in for servicing, but I cannot afford to do that and I'm a do it yourselfer that needs to learn.
Thanks to any and all help. Robert

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-22-08, 09:37 PM   #2  
The carburetor is the reason it won't run without partial choke. You'll need to clean it well, get it running well with no choke, then go from there.

The governor generally should never need adjusting after the engine leaves the factory. It might in your case, but it sounds like your problem is all carb related.

The adjusting nut on the rod is for setting engine rpm.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

Search this Thread