1984 Snapper runs - for 20 minutes

Old 04-22-08, 03:15 PM
Unhappy 1984 Snapper runs - for 20 minutes

Pull start - starts easily with 1st or 2nd pull. Runs great, mows great for about 20 minutes. Will start again, but stalls when I attempt to engage the cutting blades. If I let it cool for a while, I should be able to mow again - for about 20 minutes! Can anyone tell my why its' doing this? I've just changed the oil, new spark plug, etc, to get ready for new season.

I'm told that this mower is worth fixing, but I just can't figure out what the problem might be. I'm not against having it fixed by the local repair shop, but it would sure be nice if I could do it my self.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-08, 03:30 PM
Try running it with the gas cap loose, the vent in the cap could be clogged. Have a good one. Geo

Old 04-22-08, 04:17 PM
Unhappy Not gas cap

No - as a matter of fact, my gas cap has a screw that I'm supposed to open before I start it - but I lost the screw completely so there's a hole in my gas cap!

Old 04-22-08, 09:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like a bad coil if not vacuum developing in a non-venting tank (which doesn't appear to be the case since the thumbscrew vent is missing).

You might drop the carb bowl and see if there is any water in it....and verify that the flow of fuel into the bowl is adequate while you've got it off.