Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Craftsman Lawn Tractor Won't Start

VA

04-23-08, 06:32 AM   #1  

No Spark. This is a Kohler CV16S-42512 engine.Where do I start to find my problems. Alternatively, Is there a way to isolate the engine and bypass the tractor components to see if it is an engine vs tractor electrical problem (ie, hot wire the engine)?

Thanks

Jack

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-23-08, 11:01 PM   #2  
Disconnect the small kill wire from the coil and check for spark again. If no spark, the coil is bad. If there is spark, there is a problem with the kill circuit on the machine. If your engine has a speed advance module, there will be 2 wires on the coil. If so, disconnect the white one and leave the other to test the coil.

If you find the problem is with the machine and not the engine, then I suggest looking under the gas tank area for 3 little black cubes with wires. These are relays, and there is one which commonly causes a no spark condition. The color of the wires going to it help identify which one is the one related to the kill circuit, but I don't recall the colors for sure. I think one is white, and one is purple. I don't recall the others. Not all Kohler equipped craftsmans have these relays, but a good many of them do.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

04-24-08, 03:52 PM   #3  

Thanks for your Diligence!

Search this Thread