Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Troy Bilt VS John Deere / Professional Opinions Please ?

NC

04-24-08, 08:07 AM   #1  
Troy Bilt VS John Deere / Professional Opinions Please ?

Guys,

How does the Troy Bilt riding mower in the link below measure up in comparison to the John Deere LA105 ?
If I can get just as good of quality for less money I'm all for it.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...011&lpage=none

LA105

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...444&lpage=none

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

OH

04-24-08, 10:09 AM   #2  
I'm not a professional, so my opinion doesn't count.

My money would be on the Deere for two reasons. One, it has the better deck (12ga) and two, I have a Deere and love it. Of course, I bought mine from a Deere dealer because they have more solid models. The models built for the big box trade are lighter in weight and stripped to meet that sales segment. They are fine for smaller, smooth lawns, but my acre and a half of frost heaves and mole tunnels would destroy the big box models.

Of course I have no opinion.

Woody

You can trust your car - and a whole lot more - to the man who wears a star.

NC

04-24-08, 10:21 AM   #3  
I had a Deere L100 Series Lawn Tractor, I gave it to my mom'' lives 250 miles from me''now I can't afford another until tax time again ! lol
I'm using a Deere Self Propeled mower now for my acre & a half or so, but it's giving me problems even though it's supposed to be able to cut the mustard if used properly.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-24-08, 11:55 PM   #4  
To put it mildly, I wouldn't buy a Troy Bilt. They are probably the worst mowers I have ever seen on the market. If I had to spend my $1000 to $1500 on a new mower, and that's all I had in the budget, it would get spent at sears on a craftsman, or a Husquvarna (basically the same mowers in different colors). If you go for the Deere, go to a dealer. They have the same mowers for the same money, but the service will be a world of difference.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of this site. My opinion is based on my experience over the years of owning and operating a small engine repair service. Others may have different experiences. Order within the next 30 minutes and you'll get these touch lights free....a $239.00 value.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

NC

04-25-08, 01:24 AM   #5  
Thanks for helping me decide guys, obviously getting myself another Deere is the way to go.
Hopefully I will make it through the summer with my nice Self Propeled Deere & then I can get another Deere tractor in late January unless I win the lotto before then.

Have A Great Weekend

NJ

04-25-08, 05:11 AM   #6  
Arent both the John Deere and the Troy Bilt that Lowes sells made by American Yard Products ???

PA

04-25-08, 07:01 AM   #7  
Posted By: jl66redcpe Arent both the John Deere and the Troy Bilt that Lowes sells made by American Yard Products ???
No No No, Deere build Deere tractors at the Deere plant using Deere employees who work for Deere. Honest! It's true! Troy-Bilt is made by MTD. American Yard products makes Husqvarna, Craftsman and Poulan tractors.

NC

04-25-08, 07:07 AM   #8  
Not sure, but this morning has been frustrating !

I go out & crank up the self propeled Deere, she cuts beautiful for about 20 min then starts cutting off.
Maybe it's the spark plug gap ya think ?
She's holding gas just fine.

It seems like if I let it sit an hour it will work fine for 20 min or so, if it's something minor I really don't want to take it into the shop.

Any ideas ?

CO

05-08-08, 10:51 AM   #9  
Posted By: cheese
Disclaimer: This is my opinion and not necessarily the opinion of this site. My opinion is based on my experience over the years of owning and operating a small engine repair service. Others may have different experiences. Order within the next 30 minutes and you'll get these touch lights free....a $239.00 value.
Consider adding the following language to your disclaimer:

"Ask your doctor if John Deere is right for you."

Search this Thread