Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

14HP Kohler with Walbro Carb needle/seat replacement

VA

04-24-08, 04:59 PM   #1  
14HP Kohler with Walbro Carb needle/seat replacement

For some reason the needle/seat in my Walbro Carb (14HP Kohler engine) started leaking gas all down into the oil. I pulled the needle and saw it has no replaceable seat. Checked with RBI in Ashland VA (Kohler parts dealer) and got a kit that has needles and neoprene seats for same. Also got a new float figured this was a simple fix. I put the correct neoprene seat down into the old bronze seat per the instructions. Then tried to put the needle and float back in. No go. Then I read the instructions again (pretty vague) and they say to "Press the retining ring with a .213 dia. drill blank so that it presses valve seat to depth" Well I take a .213 drill blank and try it and it seems to be the exact diameter of the bronze seat and probably the right size to "press" the old bronze seat deeper into the carb casting hole. The problem is it will not "press" with light taping and I am a little afraid to "drive" the thing. Anyone had any experience with these?
Thanks
Dennis

Sponsored Links

FL

04-24-08, 05:48 PM   #2  
Posted By: 6mmppc probably the right size to "press" the old bronze seat deeper into the carb casting hole. The problem is it will not "press" with light taping

Dennis, You do not want to do the above with the brass seat.

Two questions;

Did you remove the old neoprene seat ?

Did you slide the head of the needle into the slot in the float then lower the float and needle as one into the brass seat with the carb up side down ?

You can use any size drill blank that fits into the brass seat snuggly to push the retaining clip down all the way but make sure the neoprene seat is all the way down first.

VA

04-25-08, 09:40 AM   #3  
Posted By: 31YTech Dennis, You do not want to do the above with the brass seat.

Two questions;

Did you remove the old neoprene seat ?

Did you slide the head of the needle into the slot in the float then lower the float and needle as one into the brass seat with the carb up side down ?

You can use any size drill blank that fits into the brass seat snuggly to push the retaining clip down all the way but make sure the neoprene seat is all the way down first.
The carb did not have a neoprene seat. The original seat is on the bottom of the bronze tube. The original needle has a red neoprene tip on it that fits into the hole in the bottom of the brass seat.

Yes I tried to install the float as you describe. The float/needle will not go down enough to slide the retainer pin in. The new needle is the same size/length as the old one but does not have the neoprene tip on it. The little neoprene seat that I put down in the bronze tube is what is causing the needle to sit up too high to allow the float/needle to go in, that's the problem.

Oh almost forgot, I did press the neoprene seat all the way down, but I do not have a retaining clip in the kit, the neoprene seat fits so tight I am sure it will not move. But something is not right the neoprene seat causes the needle to sit up too high. There is no question the neoprene seat is at the bottom of the brass seat!
Dennis

Last edited by 6mmppc; 04-25-08 at 11:01 AM.

VA

04-25-08, 11:43 AM   #4  
I have found the problem but not a solution. I called Kohler Tech support and was told that this model carb does not use the neoprene seat. That I should have a NEEDLE with a neoprene tip on it (that's what came out of it) but there was only 2 needles with the kit one too large the other is the proper size but it has a steel tip for use with a neoprene seat. There was NO needle with a neoprene seat with the kit. Tech support says the only thing that will work is a needle with the neoprene seat. The Kohler distributor that I got the kit from said none of the kits have a needle with the neoprene seat! Guess I will have to buy a new Carb for lack of a $1.00 part!
Thanks for the help
Dennis

FL

04-25-08, 04:09 PM   #5  
Posted By: 6mmppc there was only 2 needles with the kit one too large the other is the proper size but it has a steel tip for use with a neoprene seat.

Dennis, I had no way of telling which carb you had due to no model numbers posted.

Are you sure this needle has a steel tip ? The neoprene tip when new is the same color as the rest of the needle, With your finger nail push on the area marked below and see if it's softer than steel.

Did you end up with kit part# 12 757 13-S ?

WI

04-25-08, 08:09 PM   #6  
The dealer gave you the wrong kit. The one he gave you probably starts with the number 25. There is another kit that starts with 12 but I do not have all the numbers at home with me.

CT

05-10-08, 09:40 AM   #7  
I just got the kit 12-757-01-S WRONG KIT

The parts guy at Pat's Small Engine tried to get me to force the seat into the pressed brass lined tube where the needle will sit. NO WAY. Even if forced it will cause the needle to be to far out of the tube and the float will not work. If the brass sleeve were easy to get out, I would give it a try, but to much damage to the carb would be the result. I will try the guy I purchased this machine from this week. Mine is 1996 vintage Giant Vac 48" mower. Maybe he has a solution other than a $75 carb replacement. Everything else in the carb kit is the right size though. The eng code CV14T and the spec is 1420.

Last edited by lcmm555; 05-10-08 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Want to add 2 Photos of the carb , How????

FL

05-10-08, 07:15 PM   #8  
Posted By: lcmm555 The eng code CV14T and the spec is 1420.
According to my dealer's site you need carb kit # 12 757 03-S

Good Luck

Search this Thread