Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

TORO lawn mower, battery discharging

VA

04-24-08, 06:37 PM   #1  

Have a TORO lawn mower with 16 HP engine. Believe the engine to be made by TORO. Anyway, today the battery began discharging and battery died while cutting grass. What could cause this to happen? Is it hard to repair? Don't want to take it to repair shop. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links

CA

04-24-08, 07:19 PM   #2  
Post the Model and Serial number off your mower and someone can possibly provide a little help for you.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

04-24-08, 11:30 PM   #3  
Agreed, model numbers from the unit and the engine would help. TORO doesn't make engines, so look for a manufacturer name on it.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

WI

04-25-08, 08:01 PM   #4  
The battery will discharge if you have the electric PTO engaged and you are not getting voltage output from the engines generator. You can test with a volt meter accross the battery posts without the engine running first and then with the engine running. There should be more voltage or the voltage should be increasing with the engine running at full throttle up to about 14 volts. If not your voltage regulator may have quit. Depending on the engine codes, there are more test that can be made to see if you have ac voltage to the regulator.

VA

04-26-08, 04:42 PM   #5  

Posted By: CAMINO KID The battery will discharge if you have the electric PTO engaged and you are not getting voltage output from the engines generator. You can test with a volt meter accross the battery posts without the engine running first and then with the engine running. There should be more voltage or the voltage should be increasing with the engine running at full throttle up to about 14 volts. If not your voltage regulator may have quit. Depending on the engine codes, there are more test that can be made to see if you have ac voltage to the regulator.
Thanks for responding and I will get those numbers and post them Monday.

VA

04-28-08, 01:35 PM   #6  
engine numbers

Posted By: anthony1944 Thanks for responding and I will get those numbers and post them Monday.
Engine is labeled TORO POWER PLUS 16, with Model no. as P216G-1/10976C, S/N B913772657 and P/n as 117590. Does this engine have a alternator or does it use a magneto setup. I have not had the time to do the electrical check you suggested. the battery is dead now , Do I need to charge the battery up before testing as you suggested? Thanks a lot for your help.

CA

04-28-08, 03:58 PM   #7  
Toro Power Plus

Your engine is an Onan engine.

You should charge and have your battery load tested. Make sure all connections are clean of any build up, rust or corrosion. Check all of your fuses and make sure they are good. If all that is good then the next thing to check would be alternator output and output from the regulator.

WI

04-29-08, 06:10 PM   #8  
Your engine is an Onan Performer P216 and has battery ignition. It would appear that your charging system is not working. Most of the cases here involves trouble shooting back from the voltage regulator with a volt meter. Get your battery charged up and then without starting the engine turn on the switch and measure the voltage at the center post of the regulator to ground. If you do not have 12 volts minimum your voltage regulator will not work. Let me know what your reading is so I can tell you the next step to look as these are a lot of fun. You can have a bad ignition switch or a poor connection where the tractor harness plugs to the engine harness or a bad regulator. Be prepared to take it a step at a time without trying to take any short cuts.

Search this Thread