engine block blown Sears Snowblower

Old 04-25-08, 07:24 AM
engine block blown Sears Snowblower

A very large hole was blown in the engine block of my Sears snowblower. Most of the debris ended up inside the block. This was right out of the blue no warning while i was using it. Ping, stop, it died--may it RIP. Had it for about 6 winters, but thanks to global warming and retirement haven't really used it much. The service rep (not from sears) said it sounded like an oil problem--but the debris inside is sitting in a pool of oil and i just changed it at the beginning of the season...I think that it might be a defect or could someone have tampered with it?

could a rank amateur replace the engine?

any help would be most appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-08, 12:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
While I have no experience whatsoever with snowblowers (and intend to keep it that way), I would encourage you to go ahead and attempt to change the engine. It should be little more than 4 mounting bolts and a cable or two, wire or two, pulley(s), and maybe a couple misc brackets.

Old 04-26-08, 04:01 AM
Cheese is correct, go for it. The most important thing when replacing the engine is to purchase engine with same diameter and length crankshaft. You will want to use the belt pulley(s) that are on your engine. Also you need to note if your crankshaft is tapped, meaning the pulley(s) are held on with a bolt, If this is the case your new engine must be the same. If you buy similar engine you should be able to bolt and go, if you change engine brands you may have an issue with chute discharge rod. Some engines have larger carb heater boxes, mufflers etc. and it can be a pain to retrofit because they must line up correctly.

Old 04-26-08, 06:36 PM
I also encourage you to change the motor. It's nothing that requires vast mechanical skills, just pay attention to some details when removing the old motor. A digital camera to take photos of the various cables and linkages and where they are hooked up to can be a valuable aid in rehooking everything up. Don't have a digital camera? a Poloroid will do, or even some sketches. Use a tape measure to check the bolt down hole locations. the height of the crankshaft from the base. the dia. of the crankshaft and the length of the crankshaft that sticks out of the motor, write down any and ALL info on tags on the motor itself and you will have the stuff needed to get a properly fitting replacement motor. If you are not sure, post back here with what you have and we will try to assist you in finding a source for your motor.