old poulan 3400

Old 04-26-08, 05:17 PM
old poulan 3400

my old poulan 3400 will idle but surge when throttle is opened fully(i.e. races then dies, races and dies, so on and so on). I rebuilt carb and wonder if i screwed up. Also wondering (though I'm doubtful) if the electronic ignition module is faulty. Seems to me if it fires it fires. Followed service manual instructions for rebuild so I'm sorta stumped. Also cleaned everything thoroughly. ANY IDEAS?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-08, 06:57 PM
The old 3400 had a pulse hose that plugged into a nipple on the crankcase to operate the fuel pump in the carburetor. Check the pulse hose as they tend to get hard and dry from the heat of the engine, particularly where they attach at the crankcase. A loose, cracked or broken hose will cause a "lean" condition such as the one you describe.

Old 04-27-08, 07:16 AM
Thanks. Looked at saw and service manual and neither show a pulse line attachment. Must have a later saw as manual shows an oil adjustment screw on early 3400's and I have none. Someone said its likely bad crank seals.

Old 04-27-08, 10:02 AM
My bad, I was thinking of the 3300 that has the external pulse line. It still sounds like some sort of air leak, either gaskets at the intake or cylinder head or possibly the crankshaft seals.