Need help: gasoline leak at bolt of carburetor bowl of Briggs and Stratton Mower

Old 04-27-08, 08:24 AM
Question Need help: gasoline leak at bolt of carburetor bowl of Briggs and Stratton Mower

I have a Sears lawnmower with Briggs and Stratton engine. I took the carburetor apart to clean it and now when I put it back on the mower and fill up with gas, with the mower turned off the gasoline quickly leaks out of the bowl under the carburetor. It appears to be leaking around the bolt underneath the bowl. What would cause this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-08, 08:52 AM
When you c l e a n e d your carb, did you buy a rebuild
kit w/ all new gaskets or did you use the old ones?

Old 04-27-08, 09:13 AM
Originally Posted by j HOWARD View Post
When you c l e a n e d your carb, did you buy a rebuild
kit w/ all new gaskets or did you use the old ones?
Thanks for responding! I used the old gaskets. What looks like a flimsy washer that sits between the bolt and the bowl is frayed, and so is the gasket at the top of the bowl. The gasoline does not just drip - it is a small but steady stream of gasoline that comes out of the bowl, and it appears to come out around the bolt.

I have to admit that I also fear I may have lost a part or two from the carburetor when I took it off - I do not see anything that I think are referred to as "needles" in the notes about carburetors online - this is my fist visit to taking apart a carburetor - I am unable to lift my lawnmower and take it to a repair shop. so I have been replacing parts myself - and until I ran into the gas leak issue, I was humming along. I had the mower working again.....

Old 04-27-08, 09:41 AM
Gloria,

Since you have never been into one of these carbs before and had a issue that pointed you that direction and now have possible parts missing and a leak, May I suggest just going to your local dealer and purchase a complete new carb ?

You really don't know if what you cleaned solved your problem, Now with the leak and possible missing parts will require a rebuild kit and going back into it. These small carbs run in the $35 range and you can be assured your problem (if carb related) would be solved, Just take one off put one on.

Good Luck

Old 04-27-08, 11:39 AM
Originally Posted by 31YTech View Post
Gloria,

Since you have never been into one of these carbs before and had a issue that pointed you that direction and now have possible parts missing and a leak, May I suggest just going to your local dealer and purchase a complete new carb ?

You really don't know if what you cleaned solved your problem, Now with the leak and possible missing parts will require a rebuild kit and going back into it. These small carbs run in the $35 range and you can be assured your problem (if carb related) would be solved, Just take one off put one on.

Good Luck
Thanks. Yes, that has pretty much been my plan since early am today - unless by some miracle I could figure out what happened with the old one. If I feel energetic when I get the new one, I may take it apart carefully, photograph the parts and how they are put together , and of course, hang onto the old one in case I need to repair it again in the future.

Thanks for responding...