Toro - 22 in. Self-Propel Problems

Old 04-29-08, 10:55 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Toro - 22 in. Self-Propel Problems

I have a Toro 22 in. Self-Propel mower model #20072. I am having problems with the self-propel system. The mower is about a year old and the self-propel will not work. I was wondering if anyone has worked on one before. When I engage the self-propel the belt and pulleys turn but the front wheels will not turn. I am thinking it is in the transmission. One thing that I have noticed is that the pulley on top of the transmission has alot of slack in it. Is this normal? Could it need a new set of bearings on the pinion? I don't think it needs to be tightened. I have taken the transmission apart and everything looks fine. No tooth wear or anything. It seems that when I engage the self-propel that the gears aren't working together. If anyone can help I appreciate it.

Old 04-29-08, 05:30 PM
A
I am pretty sure that Toro mowers have a 2 year warranty, if it's only a year old you should take it to a Toro Dealer for warranty service.

Old 04-29-08, 05:48 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
By all means this will be under warranty. Wrap it back up and take it to your local Toro/Lawn-boy dealer for service. I'm thinking the spring-loaded axle keys are hanging up. You may have excess slop in the trans input pulley too. But, again, this is under warranty.

Old 04-30-08, 01:19 PM
K
I have not got the box or the receipt. I bought it from the Home Depot. I am not sure that it will be covered under the warranty like I said I have not got a receipt or a box. I am going to have to fix it myself or pay someone to fix it. I like to work on stuff so I am going to try and do it myself. So if anyone has any information to help I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Old 04-30-08, 06:59 PM
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You should at least contact your local Toro shop, give them your model and serial numbers and explain that you can't find your receipt. They may well help you. Otherwise, as I indicated in my last post I believe that the axle keys are to blame. Remove each drive wheel and the outer E-clip and the drive pinion to get to the drive key and spring below such. The receptacle in which they lay must be clean and free of debris. Clean them out and reassemble using a light coating of "00" grease on all drive components.

Old 05-01-08, 12:50 PM
K
The wheels are working correctly. I have already pulled them and they are clean and working properly. Is the pulley on the transmission suppose to have a lot of play in it. To me I think it has to much play and not letting the gears in the transmission work. The pulley spins fine but when I engage the self-propel the gears aren't working together. I also found out that I can get the self-propel to work sometimes with the front end held up, but when I put the tires down it quits but the belt and pulley are still going. All this happens without any gear grinding or any noises.

Old 05-04-08, 06:10 PM
K
Does anybody know if the pulley that comes out of the top of the transmission is suppose to have a bunch of slack in it? What I mean is that it will move up and down, front and back, and left and right like it has to much slack in it. I believe that the gears in the transmission aren't making contact together to engage the self-propel. I am asking this question because I need to know so I can order a new transmission for it if it is not suppose to move this much. The transmission costs 60 something dollars so I want to be right before I pay that for it. The whole lawnmower didn't cost but 300 something all together. If anybody knows anything about this Toro or any similar model I would appreciate your help. Thanks

Old 05-04-08, 11:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
I don't know how much slop the input shaft has, but if you can move the pulley back and forth 1/4", then I'd say that's too much.

Old 05-05-08, 05:54 PM
K
So do you think that I will need to replace the pulley, the transmission, or the bearings that go around the pulley shaft that goes into the transmission? Or all of them? I am just trying to get a feel on what I need to replace because I have no idea and I need to order them so that I can go ahead and repair it.

Old 05-05-08, 11:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
You'll need the entire assembly. The old tranny will have too much trash in it, along with bits of the old bearings and shaft. Assuming that's all that's wrong with the mower, I'd say put a new one in.

I'm curious though, as you indicate that the money is a concern, why not let warranty cover it? They can tell how old it is just by the numbers on it. You might not even need a reciept.

Old 05-07-08, 06:13 AM
K
I think I will see if they will cover it under the warranty. Thanks for all your help.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: