no spark tecumseh oh160 on case 1816 skid steer

Old 04-29-08, 11:29 AM
no spark tecumseh oh160 on case 1816 skid steer

Hello,

I have a Tecumseh oh160 on a case 1816 skid steer. It worked fine but would not charge the battery (the magnets were off the inside of the flywheel). I purchased a new to me flywheel (part # 611000), it came off the exact same motor, drove my loader from the barn to the garage, took the old flywheel off, put the new flywheel on and no spark. Thinking I might have purchased a bad flywheel, I put the old flywheel back on and no spark. I had a guy look at it and he told me it was the ignition coil. Well, I replaced the ignition coil with a new one (part # 610906), put it all back together and no spark. There are only two components to this system the flywheel and the ignition coil and I replaced both. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-08, 05:52 PM
Please post back with the spec(ification) number of the engine. What, if any, safety (ignition kill) features does this machine have that may interfere with the ignition system?

Old 04-30-08, 02:05 PM
OK, sorry for the lack of info. The engine model or spec # is OH160 170048E SEP 8071E. As for the kill switches, there is one from the key to the solid state ignition, which I did remove, but I still did not get a spark. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-30-08, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the additional information. When you eliminated the kill wire did you detach it at the ignition coil, or otherwise? All part numbers are confirmed by my lookup so compatibility shouldn't be an issue. This magneto system uses trigger pins in the flywheel, closely compare the "new" flywheel to the original and check for any differences and post back. I'm not at my shop right now and don't have access to the service manual for this engine but I think there is procedures to take to get you diagnosed with this ignition system, I'll check in the morning and get back to you.

Old 05-01-08, 06:01 AM
The kill switch was detached at the ignition coil. When comparing the new flywheel to the old flywheel the trigger pins matched up exactly based on centering the flywheels to their respective flywheel key slots.

Old 05-01-08, 05:30 PM
Did you remove the coil before you removed the origanol flywheel??? The reason I ask this is because I had a customer bring a piece of equipment to me that would not start... No spark. He had done a short block replacement. Someone here told me to turn the coil over & after it ran like new. .. Is it possible the coil is backward??? This isn't a battery ignition, is it?? Roger

Old 05-02-08, 05:16 AM
This type of ignition coil only goes on one way. I was comparing the old ignition coil to the new coil. With the old coil, there is continuity from the lead on the side to the spark plug wire. With the new coil, there is not continuity between these two. This leads me to believe the old coil was indeed bad. With that being said, what is preventing the new coil from firing.
I checked the distance between the firing pins on both flywheels and they are the same 3/16 of an inch. Everything on the new flywheel matches up exactly to the old one. I checked the gap between the firing pins and coil and according to specs it is set at 0.005 of an inch.
The ignition system is completely independent of the battery. The two are not connected in any way. The only connection to the coil is a ground from the key to the to kill the system when the key is turned off. And yes, I have tried it with the ground wire removed.
I am out of ideas. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by w12smith; 05-02-08 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-02-08, 11:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You don't have a charge coil under the flywheel that also connects to the ignition module? I think there were 3 different ignition types used on the OH160, but the one with the solid state unit 610906 also used current from the charge coil to charge the capacitor if I'm correct, and the trigger signal from the flywheel pin to switch the internal transistor during the appropriate time for it to fire. If the transistor switches, but there is no charged field to collapse, then it won't fire.

Was the old module the same as the new one you installed?

Old 07-11-08, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by puey61 View Post
I think there is procedures to take to get you diagnosed with this ignition system, I'll check in the morning and get back to you.
Howdy I just found this forum while searching for a similar problem with my Bolens tractor and was wondering about the flow chart. My eng #'s are
oh160 170089a s#7262e It's a Bolens H16XL tractor

I got this rig for free on the premis it didn't run. It sat on my trailer outside, over the winter. When I got to it this spring the engine had stuck. I got it spinning put some fresh gas in and cleaned the air box out. And the thing ran, pretty good, for several hours even stopping and restarting it several times.

It say in one of the barn for a couple weeks and wouldn't start again. I did some external resistance checks and found some poor connections ahead of the ign. switch but still no luck Any guidance would be helpful thanks, Ken (Mud)