Tecumseh Won't Start

Old 04-29-08, 04:58 PM
Tecumseh Won't Start

Hey Guys, I think I've hit the brick wall I have a Tecumseh LEV80, 333008c spec 02051ce0369 DOM. I can't get to prime. I cleaned the carb in a bath for a day & installed a kit & primer bulb & even the "O" rings on the emulsion tube. It,s a non-adjustable carb. When you push the primer, no fuel is pushed into the carb. If I block the little tygon breather tube that points toward the inside of the air filter, It works great & the unit starts & runs like new. I even put the float level slightly high, but no help... I can't see why this won't prime & start??? Anyone think of something I've missed???? Thanks Lots!!!! Roger

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-08, 05:40 PM
Perhaps the new primer bulb was not pressed in fully or squarely and it is not sealing well. What I can say about Tecumseh, fixed jet, primer carburetors is that you will be hard pressed to actually see any fuel mist spray up into the venturi when you look into the throat when you are priming. Secondly, and I can't tell you why, but with the cleaner vented bowl vent (the red tube leading into the air cleaner) type carbs, you must install the air filter in order to obtain a good prime. Furthermore, proper procedure is critical on this (and similar) series Tecumseh carbs...using fat of thumb prime in for one second, release for one second, in for one second, release for one second either the three or five times as needed based on the exact series carb you have.

Old 04-29-08, 07:23 PM
Thanks Puey, This is a series 8 carb, & when I "road test" the start, I do have the air filter (new also) installed. I can push the primer 3 times (slowly as you say) & as the decal on the fan shroud states & no start. I'm sure the primer bulb is pressed in O.K, as I had a friend make a tool for this a few years ago (I didn't like the socket method in the manual). I've tried to push 6-7 times & will only get a kick out of it. When it does run, it runs like a top & i have about 1/2 hour of run time into it thinking if it runs a bit, It'll be O.K.(wishfull thinking, I'm thinking....) Thanks Lots, Roger

Old 04-29-08, 11:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure it has the right primer bulb? Also, is the bowl damaged in any way along the top edge where it seals against the bowl gasket? If it isn't close to air-tight at the bowl gasket, it won't prime right.

Old 04-30-08, 01:56 PM
Thanks Cheese. The priner looked the same as the red "hourglass" shaped one I took off. (I don't have the part # here now).. I didn't see anything on the bowl, but I going to tear into it again for a closer look... Thanks again, Roger

Old 04-30-08, 06:54 PM
With this carb, it is critical to have a good bowl gasket also, I'd replace it just to be sure you're getting a good seal. Part number 631028.

Old 05-01-08, 03:21 PM
Thanks Puey, I replaced the bowl "O" ring when I cleaned the carb. From what everyones saying, it sounds like an air leak somewhere. Won't get mech of a chance to look @ it again till tomorrow, but I'll keep ya posted.... Thanks, Roger

Old 05-01-08, 05:42 PM
Just something to add Roger,

I have seen people mis-align the bowl and crank the bowl nut/main jet in and bend the bottom of the bowl inward. Make sure the bowl is flat on the bottom to get a maximum seal on the bowl gasket.

Cya