Poulan 25cc Won't Start --- Flooded Carb?

Old 04-29-08, 09:21 PM
Poulan 25cc Won't Start --- Flooded Carb?

I'm having great difficulty starting my Poulan Pro PT17, 25cc motor, trimmer. At the start of the season my fuel lines were brittle and broke. I replaced them and that's when my trouble started. Could not start and it seemed consistently flooded. Spark plug was always wet with fuel.

Today, in desperation before I trashed it, I took it apart, tried to clean what I could and put it back together. It started once, almost immediately, then would not start again. I noticed gas would drip, drip slowly out of the intake end of the carburetor. It seemed a siphon existed from the gas tank what would cause the gas to continually flow to the carb through the primer bulb. I broke the siphon my loosening the screw on the primer bulb. I could later get a start, but then it would die and start hard because of flooding or very rich mixture. It would never, never idle. I had to pump the throttle to keep in going. It seems the problem is definitely in the carb, but what is wrong? How can I fix this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-08, 11:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like you need to clean and recondition the carburetor.

Old 04-30-08, 06:39 AM
Cleaning carb?

How do you recondition the carb? I'm going to the library today to see if there is a book of instructions.

When I took it apart and sprayed with cleaner, I didn't see any internal parts to deal with, other than a gasket or two. It seemed like it was just a block of aluminum with holes drilled.

Old 04-30-08, 11:29 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
There are at least 2 gaskets and 2 diaphragms, plus an inlet needle and spring, and an inlet screen that often gets clogged. Get the numbers off the carb and take them to your local small engine shop and get a kit for the carb. It will have the gaskets, etc... that you need, and it is pretty self-explanatory. Make note of the order of the gaskets and covers so that you can get it back together without getting anything backwards.