Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Best place to look for mower ratings?

KS

05-01-08, 03:11 PM   #1  
Best place to look for mower ratings?

Where is the best place to look for mower ratings?

Sponsored Links

FL

05-01-08, 05:22 PM   #2  
Well,

You could start here; http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/i...U=51&HBX_PK=pi

Have Fun !

Group Moderator

FL

05-02-08, 04:36 AM   #3  
Very good site; I've subscribed for years and use it all the time. Don't always agree with some of the ratings, but overall very useful.

For gas-powered push mowers the Lawn-Boy 10683 is the highest rated and the Cub Cadet 11A-18MC is their "best buy".

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

KS

05-02-08, 05:42 AM   #4  
I am looking for a self-propelled. I have seen many different reviews now and everyone has a different best buy or top rated spp mower. The last one I bought was a top rated and I have hated it for the last 6 years. I wish a person could try them out for a couple of mows and see if you like it or not.

PA

05-02-08, 08:21 AM   #5  
I'd read enough to find out who is using decent engines, and then go see them myself. I don't put a lot of faith in reviews on websites written by guys on forums like this one that that bought a machine and are now either in love with it, or bad mouthing the entire corporate structure and history of the company that built it. I'm not saying all reviews are bad, but will his experience relate to my usage? Besides, I'm 6'-3" and I want handle bars and controls where I won't have to stoop over for 'em. Maybe that great review on self proppelled mower brand "X" was written by a guy 5'-7' tall, a track star that like to jog behind his mower, and he is left handed besides. So I agree that hands on means more than much of the stuff you can read. An example: On another forum, a guy asks what size hex wrench he needs for his oil drain plug, AND WHERE can he get such a wrench? I don't want to read HIS review on his machine.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

05-02-08, 11:14 PM   #6  
Excellent perspective Bontai Joe. Some points I hadn't thought of before, and I agree.

Wendans, the phrase "you get what you pay for" used to be pretty all-encompassing but with walk-behinds, you can wind up getting caught up with features and nifty useless whiz-bang stuff and wind up with a poor machine for nearly the same price of a good machine. Look for simplicity of design, ease of use, ruggedness, and capability to do what you need it to do without catering to the Tim-the-tool man type who wants all the whistles. That alone will probably get you in the league of better mowers.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

CO

05-05-08, 11:12 AM   #7  
Posted By: wendans I am looking for a self-propelled. I have seen many different reviews now and everyone has a different best buy or top rated spp mower. The last one I bought was a top rated and I have hated it for the last 6 years. I wish a person could try them out for a couple of mows and see if you like it or not.
Once you narrow your field, you might try renting a model before you buy. Sure, it's a hassle, but beats finding out about some problem after plunking down $$$. Try rental shops, Tru-Value stores, etc.

KS

05-06-08, 04:55 AM   #8  
Nothing like that around me. No one even has the two models I have narrowed it down to unless I make a special order. Home Depot does not carry them on hand nor any other place. The rental places don't have any good brands I want. I have narrowed it down to the Lawn-Boy 10795 or the toro 20092. Now as to where online to get it.

CO

05-08-08, 10:46 AM   #9  
Well, you've done your homework, now you pays your money and takes your chances...

I narrowed my choices down to the 20092 and the 20066.

The 20092 has an aluminum deck but weighs the same as the 20066. The 20066 has a steel deck but I'm a pretty careful user and don't plan on banging the thing around. I live in a dry area so by the time the deck rusts out either the rest of the mower will have bitten the dust or I will have.

The 20066 has a 2-year warranty while the 20092 has a 5-year warranty. Other than the deck, the mowers appear to be the same, so I figure part of the 20092's extra cost is to cover the warranty. Sort of a hidden extended warranty. Extended warranties are known bad deals for the consumer and money-makers for the manufacturer.

Whatever you choose, hope your happy with it.

Please wish me the same, I think I'll need it

KS

05-08-08, 12:03 PM   #10  
I went with the LB. I like the way to adjust the handle for height and how it folds down for storage which is an important feature. The 5 year warranty is a little added benefit but I do understand at a cost. The ratings for this mower had it as a best buy on many reviews and it also has the gas effecient honda engine. There are some other things I like about this mower that made me go this route. Now I just hope it mows as good as they say.

CO

05-13-08, 10:02 AM   #11  
Posted By: wendans I went with the LB. Now I just hope it mows as good as they say.
Yeah, same here. I cheaped out and bought the Toro 20066 for $350. Got it home and it fired up on the first pull. Runs nicely, just sorta floats in front of my hands. It mows good. I hope it continues to start easily over the next few years.

It is a bit difficult to fold the handle to the straight-up position, requiring a bit of finger strength down low on the mower deck. Awkward, but doable. Other than that, I can't find any fault with it.

01-08-09, 11:11 PM   #12  
Where to get info on lawn mowers

In response to the question about info on lawn mowers, Best Rated Lawn Mowers offers simple straight forward info. I bought a John deere and love it.

Search this Thread