Tecumseh 5.3 HP problems

Old 05-01-08, 09:53 PM
Angry Tecumseh 5.3 HP problems

I recently got a Craftsman (Tecumseh 5.3 HP) self propelled lawnmower Model# 917373680 ,The original problem was a sheared keyway which I replaced and it started right up and I mowed the yard and it worked fine. I shut it down and rechecked everything and then re-started it and after about 1 minute it lost power and quit.
I attempted to again re-start it and after I pulled the recoil 2 times it freewheeled and seems that the rod may have let loose.
My question is where can I find a parts breakdown for this motor?( and what is the Tecumseh ID for this motor)? I want to make an informed decision on costs involved for the repair or does anyone know what other motors will interchange? Thanks for any help you can provide............

Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-08, 01:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Most small engines in that HP range will interchange as far as bolt pattern goes. Most will also have a keyed crankshaft the same diameter, but some are different, and some have different shaft lengths. That's the area to be concerned of for the most part. I'm not sure where you'd find a diagram of this engine online, but I think there are some Tecumseh manuals available online in PDF. Most of the time other engines will fit, but there may be the need for longer cables or other small modifications that can be a real pain.

As far as repairing it, you'll want to check the engine block over really well. Most of the time the tecumsehs I see with broken rods also have cracked blocks or a flat out hole in the block. You'll also likely have aluminum transfer on the crankshaft, possibly a broken piston skirt, oil pump damage, etc... They are almost never worth repairing and I don't even check them anymore. I just pull 'em off and stick another engine on it.

Not good news, but it's what I have to offer. Honestly, you'd probably be time and money ahead to just get another mower. I don't mind helping, though, if you do decide to attempt a repair.

Old 05-02-08, 04:47 AM
here is a link to the beakdown:

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...b%20Components

Old 05-02-08, 06:56 AM
Originally Posted by cheese View Post
Most small engines in that HP range will interchange as far as bolt pattern goes. Most will also have a keyed crankshaft the same diameter, but some are different, and some have different shaft lengths. That's the area to be concerned of for the most part. I'm not sure where you'd find a diagram of this engine online, but I think there are some Tecumseh manuals available online in PDF. Most of the time other engines will fit, but there may be the need for longer cables or other small modifications that can be a real pain.

As far as repairing it, you'll want to check the engine block over really well. Most of the time the tecumsehs I see with broken rods also have cracked blocks or a flat out hole in the block. You'll also likely have aluminum transfer on the crankshaft, possibly a broken piston skirt, oil pump damage, etc... They are almost never worth repairing and I don't even check them anymore. I just pull 'em off and stick another engine on it.

Not good news, but it's what I have to offer. Honestly, you'd probably be time and money ahead to just get another mower. I don't mind helping, though, if you do decide to attempt a repair.
Thanks for the help...

Old 05-02-08, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by smallengineguy View Post
Thanks for the link - I should have remembered the "KISS theory" from my days as a technician, it was a simple fix - the bellville washer broke and allowed yet another keyway to shatter and the flywheel spun free - got the parts today and it's returned to service again. Thanks for all the help guys!!!

Old 05-02-08, 10:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Awesome! Glad to hear it wasn't the rod!