8hp Briggs keeps dying

Old 05-03-08, 07:20 AM
8hp Briggs keeps dying

I have an 8hp Briggs (horizontal) on a White chipper. It starts easily, but will only stay running if I keep opening and closing the choke every 15-20 seconds or so. I've put on new intake gaskets as well as the carb body gasket (two-piece flowjet). I'm thinking that the governor might be set wrong and maybe the carb settings too. No matter how I set things it starts to die within 15-20 seconds. Any help is welcome.
Thanks-Robert

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-08, 08:01 AM
Time to clean and rebuild carburetor.

Old 05-06-08, 12:28 PM
Carb rebuilt

I rebuilt the carb and it's doing the same thing. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the governor.

Old 05-06-08, 02:51 PM
The problem you describe is carburetor related not governor. The carburetor is not supplying a sufficient quantity of fuel. Something is blocked or partially blocked. The two piece flo-jet carburetor can be a pain. Clean it again. Totally disassemble it. Probe every hole.

Post the model, type and code number of your engine.

The link below shows a two piece flo-jet and gets into problems associated with them. Does your carburetor look like the one shown in the illustration?

http://www.perr.com/tip9.html

Old 05-06-08, 11:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I agree, this is a carburetor problem. The governor on an engine should never need adjustment after it leaves the factory in most cases.

Old 05-07-08, 09:23 AM
Two-piece flowjet carb

This is the exact carb I'm dealing with. Engine #190432, Type#6117-01, Code#92093010. It's a strong engine when it runs.
Thanks for all the help! -Robert1963

Old 05-08-08, 11:51 AM
Could be the governor

Everyone assumes that factory set governors have not been tampered with. What if the governor does need to be reset? Nobody seems to want to go there.

Old 05-08-08, 03:04 PM
If you want to adjust it then adjust it.
To adjust the governor on a Briggs and Stratton horizontal shaft engine, you would loosen the nut on the governor arm and push the governor arm down, clockwise. Then you would turn the governor shaft clockwise also and tighten the nut.
Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-08-08, 06:10 PM
If the engine dies it's not getting fuel air or spark. If you know spark is there by starting then it's only a fuel issue. A lot of briggs have a main jet in the bowl nut that many forget to clean even though the rest of the carb is clean it will start on prime or choke then dies. If it is like that clean the jet well and the little inlet hole in the side of the bowl nut to let gas in then try again. And many briggs prime thru the main jet if it doesn't prime clean the jet and it will if the bulb isn't too hard from age.

Old 05-08-08, 06:43 PM
If you think the governor may have been tampered with or moved I highly suggest you adjust it. You will feel better for it.

Old 05-09-08, 12:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We don't want to go there because that's not the problem. Closing the choke to keep an engine running is a classic sign of fuel starvation, due to a restriction in the carburetor. If it was a governor problem, your symptoms would be different. If you want to satisfy yourself and adjust it, it won't hurt anything if you do it right. Might as well adjust it to ease your mind.

Old 05-09-08, 06:27 AM
Cheese is being kind trying to steer you away from the governor. Probably because he knows someone who is not experienced with the adjustment or does not have the technical manual is likely to create a problem. By adjusting the governor I personally think you will have newfound respect for the carburetor advice you are offered.

I have had carburetors I have had to clean multiple times until they worked correctly. Occasionally some cannot be fixed, but I think yours is not one of those.

Old 05-09-08, 08:31 AM
Thank you geogrubb

Thanks to Geogrubb!
I appreciate you sharing how to adjust the governor.
Everyone freaks out because I want to check all my bases and make sure that everything else is set properly. I like to be thorough in what I do and often run into opposition because others might think I'm wasting my time. I do not feel it a waste of time to do things right.
It's like asking my wife a simple question. After taking everything personally, attacking my character, and ranting and raving for hours on end she'll finally just answer the question.
I'll go somewhere else for help next time. I learn fast.

Old 05-09-08, 10:10 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Lol. You told us the problem you have, described the symptoms, and then asked for help to figure it out. That's all we're trying to do. Why are you upset about it? Were we wrong to try to steer you in the right direction? Would we be doing members any favors by encouraging them to check things that we don't believe have anything to do with their problem?

Sheesh, we seem to be getting a lot of folks who want us to make the problem be what they want it to be lately, and then get upset when we won't agree.

I answer a lot of questions here, and have for years. Because this may take over an hour every day of my volunteered time, I tend not to sugar coat what I have to say, or beat around the bush. Maybe this comes off as an attack on your end of the screen? I don't see anything you can take as an attack on your character.

Old 05-09-08, 03:16 PM
I was being facetious in telling you to adjust the governor. My point is without really knowing what you are doing when adjusting the governor you can cause engine damage, quickly.

You have a carburetor problem plain and simple. There are many other forums where maybe someone will tell you what you want to hear.

Good luck

Search this Thread