Craftsman Lawn Tractor model # 502.251220

Old 05-03-08, 06:18 PM
Craftsman Lawn Tractor model # 502.251220

just purchased this lawn tractor from a neighbor recently. He did say up front that the tractor had to warm up before you move the lever to engage the lawn blades because if you don't, it will die on you.
I decided to purchase it because I did see him use it on his lawn recently.

I let it warm up for like 3 minutes, engaged the blade and it died. I let it sit there for 10 minutes running, I engaged the blades and got about 1/2 way around the yard perimeter (small yard-corner lot) and it died again.

When it dies, sometimes it acts like it completely drains the battery as when I turn the key, I get nothing. I let it sit for about a minute and I can start it up again.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-08, 08:56 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is the engine full of oil? Does the oil smell like gas?

Old 05-04-08, 07:59 AM
If the battery is not new, take it to an auto parts store and have it tested. Clean electrical connections at the battery, solenoid and especially the ground to the frame. I am guessing this may fix the battery problem.

Give the carburetor a cursory cleaning without removing the carburetor from the engine. Pay attention to how everything is installed so it goes back the same way. If the float has a spring, pay attention to direction installed. Remove the bowl and float and spray carburetor cleaner through every whole and in every nook and cranny you see. Probe every hole with a piece of copper wire that will fit in the hole. Put the carburetor back together and see what happens. If it runs OK - good. If running improves or changes, you will need to remove the carburetor for a more thorough cleaning. I am guessing this will fix the engine running/dieing problem.
If these things do not work, I will give it another shot.

You can find a parts breakdown and an electrical diagram at:
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...t/index.action

Old 12-02-08, 07:33 AM
Your engine shuts off when engageing pto ie blade

You have a switch problem