dead mower

Old 05-04-08, 05:21 PM
dead mower

Howdy folks. I was mowing with my Honda HR215 yesterday and it was performing flawlessly. I turned it off to head to the next lawn and, when I tried to start it again, it ran just a second or so, quit, and now will not function. It has a new air filter, new gas, fresh and full oil. I took the spark plug out, put the cap on it, grounded it, and cranked the engine to check for spark. There was none so I replaced the plug, thinking it had perhaps fouled. It still has no spark. Is there a kill switch that kills the engine when I move the lever to "stop" or does that just shut off the fuel? If there's a kill switch, I'm thinking that would be the next thing to check. If not, perhaps the coil? In any case, if there's a kill switch, where would it be located? Thanks for any help you may be able to offer.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-08, 06:49 PM
Smokey,

The kill switch is mounted to the throttle control assembly, If still no spark with the switch disconnected I would suspect the coil took a dump.

Good Luck

Old 05-04-08, 07:54 PM
Most mowers have numerous safety switches. All of which will stop the spark.

Old 05-04-08, 10:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
This one has just the one that 31yrtech mentioned.

Old 05-05-08, 06:43 AM
Thanks for the input, you folks are great. I'll check it out this evening when I get back from work and let you know how it goes.

Old 05-06-08, 06:25 AM
By throttle assembly, I'm assuming we're talking about the lever that is actuated for "stop", "run", and "choke". I took that apart and found no evidence of any sort of switch I recognized as a switch. I also found no wires going to this control. Am I messing with the right control?

Old 05-06-08, 06:34 AM
Sorry,

The throttle control assembly is down on the side of the engine where the other end of the throttle cable hooks to the engine.....

Old 05-07-08, 05:53 AM
Thank you. And, actually, I only feel a little bit stupid. I should have thought of that on my own. I'll let you know what I find this evening. I worked on my VW last night so the mower is feeling a bit lonely.

Old 05-17-08, 07:50 AM
Once again, "Do it Yourself .com" rides to the rescue. I found the switch, disconnected it, tried starting the thing, and it worked great. Shutting it off was a bit of a thing, but it was obviousely the switch. It came in yesterday, I installed it, and mowed till dark, just 'cause I could. Thank you VERY much for your help.

Old 05-18-08, 12:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Great! Glad we could help, and thanks for the update!

Old 05-18-08, 05:34 AM
Ditto ^^^^^^^^........