New Blades - Sharpen?

Old 05-05-08, 06:57 AM
B
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
New Blades - Sharpen?

I just purchased a new set of Gator Blades for my tractor. Assumed they came out of the box sharpened? Anyway, after my first use the edges of the grass are torn like when a blade needs sharpening?

Should I have had, or have, these sharpened?

Old 05-05-08, 08:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
bheron.....I bought on of these as a replacement on my mower back in VA and experienced the same thing. They probably could use a sharpening before use. I loved the blade otherwise, they really do a much better job of mulching than the stock mulcher blade that was on it. Did make the starting a bit harder, probably cause they had so much more mass then the thinner stockers.

Old 05-05-08, 08:22 AM
B
Thanks for the feedback. I experienced the same - much heavier than the original OEM blades but worked well from a mulching standpoint.

Someone else mentioned maybe the paint on the new blades was it? Mayeb they have to "break in". I'd hate to have to remove these things and bring them back in for sharpening!

Old 05-05-08, 08:52 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 31 Upvotes on 29 Posts
Not to offend, but did you by chance put it on upside down. Have a good one. Geo

Old 05-05-08, 09:07 AM
B
please, i've done worse.

actually, i think i have them on correctly. teeth pointing up to kick the cuttings back up.

i would think it wouldnt mulch that well at all if they were on wrong. the mulching seemed great. just the tips of my grass are torn.

i will check though, just in case.

Old 05-05-08, 05:30 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Are you running the motor at full throttle so that the blade is spinning at the rpms it's designed for?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: