Change Bearings on Craftsman Mower

Old 05-07-08, 01:28 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile Change Bearings on Craftsman Mower

I was wondering how to change the bearings on a Craftsman LT1000 lawn mower. Its the bearings that turn the blades. Any infomation will be greatly appreciated

Old 05-08-08, 12:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 142 Upvotes on 131 Posts
Hello Dad,

Remove the deck, block the blades and remove the pulleys from the top of each mandrel. Then, slide the shaft out from the underside of the deck. If it won't move by hand, use a block of wood to tap the shaft out. Put the nut back on a few threads and knock the shaft out if you have to, but don't damage it or the shaft. The lower bearings will probably come out with the shaft. You may have to persuade them off the shaft with any means available. I've had some that come off by hand, some pry off, and some just don't come off without cutting them with the torch. The top bearings will still be in the mandrel housing. Use a socket wrench extension or drift pin to drive out the top bearings from the inside out. The top bearings should be #6203, and the bottom bearings should be #6204.

Old 05-08-08, 06:28 AM
Received 59 Upvotes on 53 Posts
The last one I did it ended up the shaft was bad also. The bearing was frozen and ate the shaft and the other side wallowed the housing. It was cheaper and easier to buy the entire assembly.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: